FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 12 AUGUST 2004 AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

Cllr Gary Etheridge

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin - Items 1-11a

Cllr Peter Hicks

Cllr David Miller

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

In attendance

Mr Martin McKay

Medway Council

Items 1-7

 

Mr David Levy

Footpaths Officer

Items 1-6

 

Mrs Rita Bishop

Upnor Society

Items 1-7

Item

Minute number

 

Action point

1

2004/5/

155

 

APOLOGIES

Apologies for absence that were accepted by the Council were received from Cllrs Bamber and Mason.

 

2

156

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

None.

 

3

157

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

None.

 

4

158

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 24 JUNE 2004

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Miller and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 24 June 2004 be signed as a true record.

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

159

a

C/07/04/5b (116): Tree Warden

Marilyn Campbell knew of someone else who would also like to be a tree warden and this was agreed.

 

RB

160

b

C/07/04/20a (151): Deposit Kent & Medway Structure Plan

Cllr Etheridge's comments had been circulated.

 

161

c

C/07/04/21a(152): Environment Agency Flood Warning Service

Cllr Hicks had nothing to report.

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

162

a

Representative's Report

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Mr Levy to speak.

Mr Levy reported he was visiting some of the footpaths for the third time. No complaints had been received.

The Chairman re-convened the meeting and thanked Mr Levy and his colleagues for their efforts in keeping the footpaths clear.

 

163

b

Closure of RS 124

Cllr Bird declared a personal interest as a Governor of Hilltop School.

A public meeting had been held and the vast majority of residents had been in favour of closure. The matter of what was to happen at either end and whether a "no man's land" would be created had been raised. Cllr Mrs Etheridge proposed that the Council had no objection to closure but should the school cease to exist, the footpath should be reinstated. This was seconded by Cllr Miller and carried by 9 votes for, 0 against and 1 abstention.

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

164

a

Upper Upnor Conservation Area: Draft Conservation Area Appraisal

The Chairman welcomed Martin McKay of Medway Council to the meeting and suspended it to allow him to speak.

Mr McKay explained that conservation areas were created through the planning process and appraisals had to be carried out from time to time. He gave a précis of the draft. It proposed extending the area, taking in the area from the ordnance depot to east of the castle, including Admiralty Terrace and some of the setting, eg the treeline. It was also proposed to take out an Article 4 direction relating to façades that faced the highway.

In response to a question from Cllr Moore, Mr McKay said that a dialogue existed wth RSME about use of the existing sheds, making it clear to them that the sheds had to have a usage. RSME were bringing in a private sector consortium to manage their land holding. Light industry and boat building had been mentioned. The properties would be difficult to convert to housing.

The chairman thanked Mr McKay and reconvened the meeting. Cllr Hicks said that the contents were welcome, particularly the extension to the area. Cllr Mrs Etheridge commented it was a good report that gave direction.

 

165

b

Upnor Society Report

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Rita Bishop to speak.

Mrs Bishop felt the unveiling of the village sign and anniversary celebrations for the London stone had gone well. The Society had a new Chairman, Mr Kelly Fegan and a committee of 9. The street light at the Arethusa Centre had been upgraded but the light by the bus stop needed repair and the footpath by the Arethusa Centro had still not been done. There had been several break-ins. The MoD police had dealt with an abandoned vehicle. The Arethusa Centre were having problems when cars were locked into the public car park. Medway Council's out of hours service were instructing people to knock on the Centre's doors and windows, which was unacceptable. In reply to Cllr Mrs Hoskin, Mrs Bishop said there were no problems with noise from the pubs. There was a problem with motorised scooters and the Society was in touch with the police over this.

The Chairman thanked Mrs Bishop and reconvened the meeting. It was reiterated that responsibility for the car park lay with Medway Council and the Chairman said he would speak to Cllr Filmer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DC

166

c

Upnor Project

A group of most of the partners had had a site visit with Emma Powell of Groundwork who was the landscape architect who would design the project. Catherine Smith would be asked to find out the various land ownerships and establish the boundaries. The Chairman had taken the opportunity to discuss the car park with Lesley Wright of the Arethusa Centre. The area they wished to acquire would take away about 30 spaces but it was acknowledged that the entire car park could be laid out better.

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

a

Applications

 

167

i

MC2004/1706: Rogers Den, Higham Road, Wainscott: Porch

No objection.

 

168

ii

Mc2004/1699: Unit 4, Bergland Park, Maritime Close, Medway City Estate: Aluminium letters and logos to elevations

No objection

 

169

iii

MC2004/1723: Suite 1, Christchurch House, Beaufort Court, Sir Thomas Longley Road, Medway City Estate: Return of use to office

No objection

 

170

iv

MC2004/1748: land adj to 171 Wainscott Road, Wainscott: New 3 bedroom detached house

No objection

 

 

b

Decisions

 

171

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were received. It was queried whether there would be a Section 106 agreement in connection with MC2003/2051 and if so, whether the Council could have an input.

 

 

c

Appeals and Other Matters

 

172

 

None.

 

173

d

Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting held on 29 July

Noted. The Chairman apologised that he would not be able to attend the Inspector's site meeting at Elizabeth Cottage, Upper Upnor and commented that the draft conservation area appraisal indicated that development would be possible at the rear of Elizabeth Cottage and Medway View. Cllr Hicks was also unable to attend but had spoken to Ian Lewis about it. There was apparently lack of communication within the planning department at Medway Council. Cllr Mrs Hoskin and Cllr Moore said they would attend.

 

174

e

Wainscott Development Strategy

The Chairman said there were some changes, but nothing major. He recommended waiting until further applications were received.

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

175

a

Bank Balances

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

176

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

The cheques as listed on appendix B were ratified.

 

177

c

Accounts for Payment

The accounts for payment (cheques 100843 - 101844) as listed in Appendix B were approved.

 

178

d

Training, Conferences and Seminars

  1. Cllr Etheridge and Mrs Etheridge would contact the organisation direct if they decided they wished to attend the Rural Youth Conference on 25 September.

 

10

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

179

a

Temple School

Cllr Mrs Etheridge said that the matter would have to wait until the school reopened in September.

 

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

180

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

The Chairman was disappointed with the letter from John Edwards. He had e-mailed Koly Ilumoka, reminding him that the Council was still waiting for his comments to John Edwards. After discussion, it was agreed to write to John Edwards again to express the disappointment and inform him that Mr Ilumoka's report was still outstanding. The corner of Cooling Road needed tidying up and the Clerk would arrange for this to be done. She would also remind Stuart Hubert about the scheme to protect the verge from BT vans.

 

181

b

Road Scheme Wainscott Road/Benenden Road

The Chairman had sent an e-mail to Keith Hanshaw. There had been a complaint about cars for sale on the highway and on this being reported, Keith Hanshaw had said that double yellow lines could be installed if the Council sent in a written request, but had not commented on the road scheme. Cllr Miller would keep a watching brief on the cars. The Clerk had also had a complaint which she had passed on to Trading Standards.

 

 

 

DM

182

c

Stonehorse Lane

Doug Coleman had still not responded over the issue of planning permission for gates and ownership of the boundary hedges. The Clerk had asked for a reply and would do so again. She would also ask again for litter to be cleared and overgrown vegetation to be cut

 

 

RB

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

183

184

 

 

a

Recreation Ground

  1. Dick Dingwall had been asked to tidy up again and to spray the steps of the hall at the same time.
  2. Youth Project. The Chairman had attended a meeting at Wayne Court arranged by MHS Homes. PCSO John Hucks had been speaking to young people and had received the offer of a shipping container from Thamesport that could be adapted into a youth shelter. A meeting had been held prior to the council meeting. There would be a cost of delivery and installation which John Hucks estimated would be 300. It was not known if planning permission would be needed. After discussion it was greed to go ahead with this idea. The application from the Kent Community Foundation had been deferred to their September meeting for more information to be provided.

 

185

 

 

b

Woodland, Lower Upnor

  1. The tree report from Alan Brier was discussed. The Clerk would ask the Tree Warden to identify the elm stems that he mentioned.
  2. The Chairman reported on the meeting he and the Clerk had had with the Council's solicitor about the land at the rear of Albion Place.

 

 

RB

13

186

 

LIGHTING

Nothing to report.

 

14

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

187

a

Representative's Report

No meeting had been held. There were still no details from Peter Bown on the amount of Rural Liaison Grant. The amount payable from this for the Police Community Support Officer would not be a full year. He had spoken to Cllr Buckwell about this and about Mark Bowen's investigation into the problem for parish councils of delegating powers.

 

188

 

 

b

Projects

As had just been mentioned, it was not clear what the current year's allocation would be. Cllr Mrs Etheridge said she was conscious that there were rural parts of the parish and hoped they would not be forgotten.

 

15

 

KAPC/MAC

 

189

a

Representative's report

No meeting had been held.

 

16

190

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Cllr Mrs Coomber said no meeting had been held. An alternative, cheaper, quote had been obtained for the toilet for the disabled and work would start in October.

 

17

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

191

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

A meeting had been held on 20 July. It had been well attended and the points Cllr Miller wanted to raise had already been made by other people. There would be an exercise on untaxed vehicles. Crime statistics had been given, the parish was now in zone 25 which consisted of Wainscott, Upnor and Chattenden. The day after the meeting, Cllr Miller had been involved in an incident with youths whilst driving in Brompton Farm Road but had not been able to contact the beat officers by telephone.

 

192

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

Cllr Miller said that many watches had been represented at the Police Liaison meeting. All had complained they had not been receiving messages. A moped had been stolen from Frittenden Road and the Medway Yacht Club had had a burglary.

 

18

 

CONSULTATION

 

193

 

None.

 

19

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

194

a

Environment Agency

The invitation to exhibit at the Kent Flood Fair was received.

 

195

b

KCC Unauthorised Encampments

Noted.

 

196

c

Kent Downs - Invitation to Countryside Day, 17 September

Noted.

 

20

197

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.45 pm

 

Return to Home page | Minutes Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ January 2005

Web site design and creation Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005