FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 27 JANUARY 2005 AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD AT 7.30 pm

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

Cllr Gary Etheridge              -- Items 12a(ii), 7-11, 12a(i), 12b - 21

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge        -- Items 12a(ii), 7-11, 12a(i), 12b - 21

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

Cllr Peter Hicks

Cllr David Miller

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

In attendance

Mr David Levy

Miss Jenni Davis
Mr Clive Stanley

Footpaths Officer

Medway Council Youth Service

Webmaster

Item
(2004/5/ Minute number)     


1
382 APOLOGIES
Apologies for absence were received from: Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber (indisposed); Cllr Tom Mason (on holiday); and Cllr Ken Bamber (at a meeting of Medway Council).
It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Bird and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.
Apologies for late arrival were received from Cllrs Etheridge and Mrs Etheridge.

2
383 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

None.

3
384 ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

None.

4
385 MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15 DECEMBER 2004

It was proposed by Cllr Moore, seconded by Cllr Bird and agreed the minutes of the meeting held on 15 December 2004 be signed as a true record.

5
MATTERS ARISING

386 None.

6 FOOTPATHS

387 a Representative’s Report

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Mr Levy to give his report.

Mr Levy had set out two walks to be put on the website. He had also produced a list of footpaths and a map. He had checked both paths mentioned at the last meeting and had spoken about them to Vivienne Kent. He had walked the Upnor foreshore and intended to clear the brambles when possible. The strimmers had been called in by the manufacturer and if parts needed replacing, this would be done by the manufacturer. He had asked Medway Council to service both strimmers, a charge for this would be made for the one owned by the Parish Council.

The Chairman thanked Mr Levy and reconvened the meeting.

The Clerk was asked to check copyright of the map before it went on the website. It was suggested the information could also be put on the noticeboards.

As Mr Stanley and Miss Davis were present, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

18
388 WEBSITE

The Chairman welcomed Mr Stanley to the meeting and suspended it to enable Mr Stanley to speak.

Mr Stanley said he hoped most councillors had looked at the site and asked if there were any questions. Cllr Miller said that as 2005 was the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar and the Sans Pareil had been named after a ship of that era, this fact could be mentioned. Cllr Bird asked about the number of hits. Mr Stanley said that it was early days but so far hits were in excess of 300, but that included maintenance by himself or the Clerk.

Mr Stanley was thanked by the Chairman, who reconvened the meeting.

A discussion followed about whether to list the pubs in the parish or not. It was not the intention to give free advertising.

12 MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND & PROPERTY
389 a Recreation Ground

ii Youth Projects

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Miss Davis to speak.

Miss Davis had worked for Medway Council for three years and had now taken up the post of a detached youth worker. She was now setting up a second team of detached workers and Wainscott had been flagged up. In response to a question from Cllr Bird, Miss Davis said the minimum number of workers in a team was 2. At present she had 5.

The Chairman thanked Miss Davis and reconvened the meeting.

At Miss Davis’s request, a meeting would be arranged with Miss Davis, the Chairman and the Clerk. Permanent goal posts had been ordered and would be delivered to the hall the first week of March. They would be installed at the same time as the youth shelter.

7 UPNOR
390 a Upnor Residents Society Report

In the absence of a representative, there was no report.

The Chairman reported on a meeting that he and Cllr Moore had attended. A representative from Taylor Woodrow had been present and had talked about the traffic calming his firm intended to do in connection with the Lower Upnor quarry site. They were supposed to be off site by the end of April. Apart from some road narrowing, they proposed creating a “village gateway” in Upnor Road near the Old Rectory. After discussion it was agreed that two gateways would be the best solution, one as proposed by Taylor Woodrow to slow traffic before the crossroads, and another in the vicinity of “Sandacres” to slow all traffic entering the built up part of Lower Upnor. It would be unrealistic to expect two gateways to be built and it was agreed that Taylor Woodrow be asked to build one near “Sandacres” in preference to near the Old Rectory. The Clerk was asked to involve the Upnor Society and ask them to send a similar letter.

391 b Use of Village Sign as Logo

The Upnor Society was now using a photograph of the village sign as their logo. Copyright was held by the Council and permission should have been sought. It was not anticipated there would be any problem, but a formal request would be asked for.

392 c Upnor Project

The Environment Agency wanted an application submitted, together with 3 copies of the plans.

8 PLANNING
a Applications

393 I MC2005/0047: 26 Guinness Drive, Wainscott: Creation of opening between kitchen and garage to dining space

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Mrs Hoskin and agreed 7 votes for, none against and one abstention that the Council object on grounds of loss of off-street parking.

394 ii MC2005/0055: 48 Leigh Road, Wainscott: Retrospective application for the construction of a boundary wall and brick built flower planters to the front adjacent to the highway

No objection

395 iii MC2005/0097: 1 Cutter Close, Lower Upnor: 2 storey side extension

No objection

396 iv MC2005/0073: 10 Lingley Drive, Wainscott: Single storey side extension

No objection

397 v MC2005/0103: 7 Benenden Road, Wainscott: Loft conversion with rear dormer

No objection

398 vi MC2005/0109: Cliffe Construction, Anthony’s Way, Medway City Estate: 7 single storey industrial units

No objection

399 vii MC2005/0048: Land rear of Albion Place, Lower Upnor: Erection of one detached 3 bed dwelling with parking spaces

It was agreed the Council object as follows:

Frindsbury Extra Parish Council has been consulted on this application in its capacity as a statutory consultee for planning applications. The Council has considered all aspects of this application carefully and objects to the application on grounds of inappropriate siting of a dwelling, unacceptable backland development and loss of amenity to existing residents.
The Council considers a dwelling on this site inappropriate. The site backs on to a slope and the rear and sides of the property would have a view of a 6ft retaining wall. There would be very little garden space associated with the property. The parking spaces would compromise access to the garages already in existence and it is felt the owner of the garage nearest to the dwelling would not be able to turn in and out of his garage if the parking spaces were occupied. The boundary wall of the house would add to this problem.
The Council is aware that an application was made in 2001 for the erection of a dwelling on this site and that the application was withdrawn.

The Clerk was asked to check the presence of preservation orders on any trees.

b Decisions

400 The decision as listed on Appendix A was received.

c Appeals and Other Matters

401 i Elizabeth Cottage, Upnor

The Clerk reported that the appeal against refusal of MC2003/2229 for the construction of detached two-bed house and demolition of existing garage was dismissed on 8 September 2004.

402 ii MC2004/2454: Hanson Aggregates

This application was going to the Development Control Committee on 2 February.

9 FINANCE
403 a Bank Balances

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

404 b Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

None

405 c

Accounts for Payment

The accounts for payment (cheques 100869 - 100872) as listed in Appendix B were approved, together with £684.46 to Clive Stanley (cheque 100873).

406 d Subscriptions

i The subscription to Society of Local Council Clerks was approved.
ii The subscription to the Council for the Protection of Rural England was approved.

407 e Training and Seminars

i Defra’s New Rural and Community Programme. Noted.
ii Kent & Medway Funding Fair. The Clerk would attend this.

10
408
GRANT APPLICATIONS

No applications.

11 HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT
409 a Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

The Chairman reported on a paper from Keith Hanshaw which appeared to indicate that there was no difference in traffic speed between the surveys done in December 2000 and September 2004 and that the traffic flow had increased. The Chairman would continue to pursue the matter.

410 b Stonehorse Lane

Cllr Bamber had taken up the matter of the ownership of the hedge but was still waiting for a response. The felled trees were still there. It was agreed that the Chief Planning Officer should be apprised of the situation and asked for action.

12 MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY
412
a Recreation Ground

i Nothing to report.

413
b Woodland, Lower Upnor

The dead trees had been dealt with.

414 c Allotments

One allotment had been let and subsequently one allotment holder had died.

13
415 LIGHTING

A light was out in Holly Road. This would be reported.

14 RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE
416 a Representative’s Report

The Chairman reported that Tom Calvert had given a presentation on rural bus issues at the last meeting. There had been a report on the rural youth conference. The Chairman had attended a meeting on the Environment Agency’s Floodscape. There was a proposal to use the Cliffe Marshes as a pilot on how to consult for such schemes. He had spoken to the officer, explaining about Rural Liaison and it was possible he would be speaking at the March meeting.

417 b Projects

Nothing to report.

15 KAPC/MAC
418 a Representative’s report

Cllr Moore had not been able to attend the last meeting. He understood only 4 members had attended and the main item had been about travellers, which had been raised by the member for Cuxton PC.

16
419 HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

On behalf of Cllr Mrs Coomber, the Chairman said there had been no meeting. She was still waiting for a price for replacement windows. The Booking Clerk had agreed to continue. It was agreed Cllr Mrs Coomber order the ramp for the disabled. It was suggested the hall could be advertised on the website and that an appeal for a Treasurer to come forward also made.

17 POLICE MATTERS
420 a Police Liaison Committee representative’s report

Cllr Miller said that the last meeting had been attended by WPC Knight, PC’s Walkling and Haddaway and a police inspector. Statistics had been given for April to November 2004, comparing them to statistics from the same period the previous year. The next meeting was in April.

421 b Neighbourhood Watch

Cllr Hicks reported that the Castle Street Watch had had new signs put up.

19
CONSULTATION
422 a Countryside Agency - Criteria for undertaking a review of a national park or area of outstanding natural beauty boundary

Received.

20
423 CORRESPONDENCE

None received.

21
424 REPORTS AND CIRCULARS
The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.


The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.50 pm.


Return to Home page | Minutes Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 26 February 2005

Web site design and creation

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005