FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 28 JULY 2005 AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD , WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Cllr Phil Filmer

Medway Council

Items 1-7a, 11a, 11b, 7b-7e, 11c

 

Mr Keith Hanshaw

Medway Council

Items 1-7a, 11a, 11b

 

Mr Tom Calvert

Medway Council

Items 1-7a, 11a, 11b, 7b-7e, 11c

 

Mrs Benita Woolley

Arethusa Venture Centre and Upnor Society

Items 1-7a, 11a, 11b, 7b-7e

Item

Minute number

 

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

145

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

indisposed

 

 

Cllr Ken Bamber

at a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

at a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

indisposed

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Hicks and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

An apology for absence was also received from Mr David Levy, Footpaths Officer.

 

 

 

2

 

 

146

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

 

Cllr Bird declared a personal interest in item 8a(iii), planning application for Hilltop School , as a Governor of the School.

 

 

 

3

 

147

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

 

 

4

 

148

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 23 JUNE 2005

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 23 June 2005 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

149

a

C/06/05/21a( 143 ): Defra Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act

 

The Clerk had raised this at a clerks' meeting chaired by the Monitoring Officer and he would be giving a fuller explanation of the Act with possible ways forward at the next clerks' meeting.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

150

a

Representative's Report

 

The Clerk reported that Mr Levy had cleared the footpath at Lower Upnor and the foreshore at Upper Upnor . He also had problems with the strimmer; the head had been changed when it had been serviced and representatives of the manufacturer had told him that this should not have been done. He had had no help from Medway wardens and there was no contact.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

151

a

Lower Upnor Car Park

 

The Chairman thanked Cllr Filmer, Mr Hanshaw and Mrs Woolley for attending. He also thanked Mrs Woolley for her notes of the site meeting held on 19 July, which had been circulated. He then gave a brief résumé of the results of the meeting. The car park information sign had already been moved to the other side of the exit to make it more easily seen by users. Colin Dack was obtaining a figure for converting the lights to be on timers. It was understood from Mr Hanshaw that he would get the hedge at the entrance cut back and white lines painted. A discussion followed about the possibility of engaging a volunteer keyholder for the car park gate after it is locked at night, to cover emergency and after hours. This should stop the current practice of the Arethusa staff being called out in such circumstances. It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that a retainer of £100 be offered and that the pub landlords be approached first. Medway Council would provide notices to go in the pubs, reminding customers of the car park's opening hours. It was confirmed a CCTV sign had been put up. The advantages, disadvantages and operational constraints of a pay and display system with a residents' parking scheme were discussed. It was agreed Medway Council would work with the Arethusa Venture Centre and Upnor Society on obtaining local opinion.

.

 

As Mr Hanshaw was present, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

152

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Mr Hanshaw to speak.

 

 

 

 

Mr Hanshaw said the Medway Council had applied to the Department of Transport to paint roundels on the carriageway but they were being slow and negative and a response was still awaited.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Hanshaw and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

153

b

Stonehorse Lane

 

In Cllr Bamber's absence, there was no report on the ownership of hedges and whether planning permission was needed to open gaps and install gates.

Cllr Hicks said that Stonehorse Lane and the by-pass had been mentioned in Cabinet. Funding would be sought to restore the missing slip roads. The Chairman mentioned a conversation some years previously when he had been told there was not enough land available, although originally he had been told the land was there, as the slip roads had been part of the original scheme but had been cancelled due to lack of funds.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

154

b

Upnor Society Report

 

The Chairman of the Upnor Society had sent a copy of the minutes of the Society's last meeting and these were read. It was noted that Mr Fegan was resigning as Chairman

 

 

c

Upnor Project

 

•  Land ownerships. The matter was still with Richard Carter.
•  Posts and chains round the green at Lower Upnor . Quotations had been obtained and it appeared the original chains could be matched, but at some expense. It was agreed to proceed with new chains of a cheaper variety as these would eventually be removed when the environmental enhancement project was undertaken.
•  Hebe on green. Pruning costing £75 would be done in March subject to weather conditions. Removal and re-turfing would be £450 and done in October or November. It was agreed to remove the shrub and re-turf. Mrs Woolley was asked to inform the Upnor Society of this decision and to ask if they would be able to contribute since the work would be done largely at their request.

 

 

 

155

156

 

 

 

 

157

 

 

158

 

 

d

Retaining Wall, Margetts Place

 

The independent building surveyor's report was discussed. It was agreed to obtain a quotation for removal of the conifers. A copy would be given to Mr Butler but his attention would be drawn to the exclusivity paragraph.

 

 

159

e

Taylor Woodrow Development.

 

Cllr Moore declared a personal interest as he was a resident of the development. The name of the relevant person at Taylor Woodrow had been passed on to Mr Fegan.

 

 

As Mr Calvert was present, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

160

c

Rural Transport Project Update

 

The Chairman welcomed Mr Calvert and suspended the meeting to enable him to give his presentation.

 

Mr Calvert said he always envisaged the first year of the project would be largely information gathering. He was producing new bus timetables for the villages in a simplified form. The Chairman suggested that the Co-op in Wainscott Road would be a good place for an information point. Medway Council would be buying a 16-seater minibus, which would have wheelchair access. It would be available for hire by community groups. Volunteer drivers would be required and he already had 3 definite volunteers. He had been running excursions to places outside the local area but so far residents from Wainscott and Upnor had not been included.

 

Cllr Filmer said that he had been working with Mr Calvert on the project. The trips had been very successful.

 

The Chairman thanked both Cllr Filmer and Mr Calvert for their attendance and input and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

161

i

MC2005/1306: Tudor Rose, High Street, Upper Upnor : Listed building consent for the erection of fence and gates to the front, increase height of railing at first floor front, fit pitched roof to rear extension, internal and external repairs and redecoration

 

Cllr Hicks declared a personal interest as a resident of the High Street, Upnor.

 

No objection.

 

 

162

ii

MC2005/1265: 28b Grant Road, Wainscott: Conversion of existing integral garage and construction of new attached garage

 

No objection.

 

 

163

iii

MC2005/1376: Hilltop School , Hilltop Road , Wainscott: Rear extension

 

No objection

 

 

164

iv

MC2005/1026: 80 Holly Road , Wainscott: Single storey extension: revised drawings

 

No objection

 

 

165

 

Out of Time

 

 

 

 

The out of time decision listed on Appendix A was ratified.

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

 

166

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were received.

 

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

169

i

MC2003/1301: APP/A2280/V/05/1184530: Land at Vanguard Way and George Summers Close and east of Anthony's Way, Medway City Estate: Construction of park and ride car park with ancillary building; non food retail warehouse with ancillary builders yard; garden centre and car parking; and engineering and other works including land reclamation

 

Medway Council had resolved to give planning permission in December 2004 but because of its nature it had been necessary to refer to the ODPM. The application had been called in by the Deputy Prime Minister and it would be dealt with by Planning Inquiry. It was agreed to repeat the objections made at the time of the original application.

 

 

170

ii

Wainscott Development Site

 

The Chairman had had a meeting with the Parks Medical Practice and had asked if they had given any thought to the medical facilities to be provided at the new medical centre, and what would happen to the building at the end of Miller Way . The practice would proceed with their extension. After re-location the building would revert to the Primary Care Trust. The Chairman had put forward the idea of a possible use as a dedicated youth centre, which would be of benefit to the community.

 

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

171

172

a

Bank Balances

 

•  The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.
•  Barclays Bank was converting all Business Reserve Accounts to another form of account. The Council's account only held £7.48 and the Council already had a Business Base Rate Tracker Account which gave a better rate of interest than the account being proposed by Barclays. It was agreed to transfer the £7.48 to the Business Base Rate Tracker and close the Business Reserve Account.

 

 

173

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

None.

 

 

174

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

The accounts for payment (cheques 100898 100899 and 100901 - 100902) as listed in Appendix B were approved, with the addition of £1,045 to A R Dingwall (Landscapes) (100903) and £168 to Frindsbury Extra Memorial Hall Committee for the rent for the Summer Scheme (100904).

 

 

175

d

Audit 2004/5

 

It was noted that the Audit 2004/5 had been completed successfully and with no comment from the Audit Commission.

 

 

 

e

Subscriptions

 

 

176

 

•  Open Space Society. It was agreed to renew the subscription to the Society (cheque 100900).

 

 

10

 

177

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

None

 

 

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

178

d

B2000

 

The Chairman had received a letter about the slip road from the A289 to the B2000. It was proposed to make the traffic island smaller to improve sight lines.

 

 

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

 

 

179

 

 

180

 

 

a

Recreation Ground

 

•  General Maintenance. A quotation had been received from Andy Beckett to renew one panel of chain link fence at the rear of a house in Hughes Drive for £993. It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Moore and agreed this be accepted.
•  Access. All councillors present declared personal interests as being acquainted with the director of the firm of contractors who had quoted to install a fence and kissing gate with access for the disabled. The access to the play park from the alley to Hughes Drive was discussed and it was decided to block this off. It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by the Chairman and agreed the quotation of £920.60 from Filmer Contracting Ltd be accepted.

 

 

 

 

183

 

b

Woodland , Lower Upnor

 

Nothing additional to report.

 

13

 

184

 

YOUTH

 

The Summer Scheme had started that week and appeared to be running well. A fire engine would be visiting on Wednesday 3 August at 11.00 am.

 

 

14

 

185

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

 

186

a

Representative's Report

 

The Chairman reported that at the meeting held in June, the main topics had been rural youth development and the problem of travellers in Cuxton. A meeting had been scheduled for July but there had been only one agenda item and it had been cancelled.

 

 

 

 

 

187

188

 

 

b

Projects

 

•  Spring Bulbs. In Cllr Mrs Etheridge's absence, there was no report.
•  Other projects. Cllr Etheridge suggested extending the outdoor area of the hall and landscaping it to provide a space that would encourage people to hire the hall. Storage facilities could also be provided.

 

The Clerk would provide up to date figures for the next meeting.

 

 

16

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

189

a

Representative's report

 

Cllr Moore said no meeting had been held.

 

 

17

 

190

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported that the books had now been passed to Trevor Archer. Mrs Archer had offered to polish the floor.

The Chairman reported on the need under the new Licensing Act for the hall to have a new premises licence. The application form had 16 pages to complete. Advice had been obtained from the licensing department of Medway Council. A plan of the hall had had to be submitted. He proposed that the Council pay for the plans. This was seconded by Cllr Etheridge and carried unanimously.

 

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

191

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

 

Cllr Miller reported on the meeting held on 19 July. It had been attended by both Peninsula beat officers, the PCSO, Simon Harwood of the Community Safety Team, Sgt Bownass, PC Haddaway, and a colleague of Jenni Davis. They were now able to issue instant fines for anti-social behaviour and this was going well. Speed checks had also been successful. Cliffe Carnival had been wrecked in the evening by an invasion of youths from Strood. The community Safety Team now had a football team and matches had been played. 6 special constables started on 1 July. Roscoe Walford is the new inspector.

 

 

192

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller said he had received no messages of crimes. He had contacted the police over an e-mail scam and had sent a copy to the fraud squad.

 

 

19

 

193

 

WEB SITE

 

The KCC website free page was now live and it gave a direct link to the official site.

 

 

20

 

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

194

 

No documents received.

 

 

21

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

195

a

Southern Water

A letter had been received from Southern Water stating that a hosepipe ban would be in force from 9.00 am on Saturday 30 July.

 

 

22

 

196

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.35 pm

  


Return to Home page | Minutes Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 03 November 2005

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005