FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email: clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY 25 JUNE 2009
AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm


C/06/2008/1-24
 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Trevor Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mrs Wendy Williams

Assistant Footpaths Officer

 

Mr Doug Coleman

Planning Officer, Medway Council

 

Mr Mark Greenfield

Greenfield Boot Fairs

 

Item

Minute number 2009/10

 

Action point

 

1

 

107

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

At another meeting

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

Indisposed

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Hicks and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

108

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

Cllr Mrs Etheridge said she needed to update her register of interests.

 

 

109

b

Standards Committee

 

No meeting.

 

 

3

 

110

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

4

 

111

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 28 MAY 2009

 

It was proposed by Cllr Archer, seconded by Cllr Moore and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 28 May 2009 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

112

a

C/05/09/12a(65): Frindsbury Hall Nursing Home

 

No reply had been received from the Chief Executive of the care home company. The Chairman would speak to the Electoral Registration Officer.

 

 

 

 

DC

6

 

113

 

GREENFIELDS BOOT FAIR

 

The Chairman welcomed Mark Greenfield, proprietor of Greenfields Boot Fairs and Doug Coleman, a senior planning officer at Medway Council to the meeting. He suspended the meeting to allow them to speak.

 

Mr Greenfield updated members on the latest position with his plans to operate a boot fair in the parish. After he had last spoken to the Parish Council, he had met a highways officer and a member of the police highways team on site. The officers had considered the original site unsuitable as the proposed exit onto Berwick Way would mean closing one of the traffic lanes. Mr Greenfield had shown them the alternative site, with entrance and exit onto Upnor Road and they had been happy with this, subject to the erection on days of the boot fair of traffic management signs. Mr Greenfield said that he understood from the farmer that his landlords had given permission and that the entrance was merely the opening up of an existing entrance to the field and that this could be proved. He intended to start at the end of August and run a few this year. Next year he would start in April and run 14. From previous experience he expected between 100 and 200 stalls and up to 200 visitors’ cars on the field at any one time. He had public liability insurance. Litter was cleared entirely and Portaloos were provided. Mr Greenfield reiterated that if any problems arose that could not be solved, the boot fair would be stopped

 

Questions were asked about the traffic management, access to and possible interference to the allotments and the public right of way and consultation with local residents. It was apparent that the residents of Upnor had not been informed and Mr Greenfield was urged to leaflet the village as soon as possible.

 

Mrs Williams stated that she had experience of Mr Greenfields’ other boot fair and said it worked well. She confirmed the clearance of all litter.

 

Mr Coleman confirmed that his department had investigated possible planning issues and that no planning permissions were needed under current legislation.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Greenfield and Mr Coleman and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

7

 

114

 

 

FOOTPATHS

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Mrs Williams to speak.

 

Mrs Williams said that all paths were accessible. She and Mr Levy thanked the Council for the new trimmer; the brush cutter would be very useful. There were countryside code notices on most of the paths. Mr Levy had asked for more notices concerning dogs.

 

The Chairman thanked Mrs Williams and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

8

 

UPNOR

 

 

115

a

Upnor Residents Association

 

Cllr Moore said that the Association had still not held a meeting.

 

 

116

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

Cllr Hicks said that the next meeting was the following week, when Martin Hall would present a “Project Profile”. The final drawings of the green had been received. Cllr Hicks was investigating the comment of a resident, reported by Robert Emby, that a Mrs Gill had left money for the maintenance of the green.

 

 

117

c

London Stone

 

The Clerk had received an enquiry about the London Stone from a lady representing the Arethusa Old Boys’ Association, who wished to fill in the letters on the old stone. She had spoken to Medway Council’s Heritage and Tourism Officer, Simon Curtis, who had assured her that his department was investigating and trying to establish ownership. It was likely the stone was a listed monument. Any unauthorised alteration to the stone would be criminal damage. Cllr Mason said he had had a conversation with someone about 6 months previously, but he had understood she was referring to the Arethusa’s stone.

 

 

9

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

118

i

MC2009/0735: Plot 1, Anthony’s Way, Medway City Estate: Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) (England and Wales) Regulations 1999 - request for a screening opinion pursuant to regulation 5

 

Noted.

 

 

119

ii

MC2009/0760: Lower Upnor Riverside, Lower Upnor: Outline application for environmental enhancement scheme including the demolition and relocation of public conveniences, replacement street furniture,  repair and upgrading to path, lifting gate and bridge, new fencing and gates to rear of public car park, boardwalk, information boards, associated landscaping and planting to include bird and bat boxes – Resubmission

 

No response, as the Council’s own application

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

The following decisions had been notified since the preparation of the agenda and were noted:

 

 

120

i

MC2009/0242: 3 Dashmonden Close, Wainscott: rear extension

 

Approved with standard conditions

 

 

121

ii

MC2009/0412: Unit 23/24 Riverside Estate, Sit Thomas Longley Road, Medway City Estate: 2.5m high perimeter fence

 

 

 

Refused: The proposed perimeter fence, by virtue of its style, design, height and location would be out of character with the open nature of the area and result in a development which is uncharacteristic of the immediate area and at odds with and detrimental to the character and appearance of the surrounding street scene in general. The proposed development would therefore be contrary to policy BE1 of the South East Plan 2009, Policy QL1 of the Kent and Medway Structure Plan 2006 and Policy BNE1 of the Medway Local Plan 2003.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

122

i

Manor Farm

 

Cllr Hicks reported that Walter Roberts had wanted to discuss his latest thoughts at the July meeting, but the planners had so far refused to attend. He was trying to resolve the situation with Dave Harris.

 

 

123

ii

Partial review of the regional spatial strategy for the South East – Provision for gypsies, travellers and travelling show people

 

Cllr Etheridge would read the document.

 

 

124

iii

Land Securities Lodge Hill Workshops

 

Councillors wishing to attend any of the workshops were asked to contact Land Securities direct.

 

 

125

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

126

e

Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting Held on 10 June 2009

 

Noted.

 

 

10

 

FINANCE

 

 

127

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

128

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheques signed since the last meeting were ratified.

 

 

129

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Moore and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 101232 – 101234) as listed in Appendix B be approved, with the addition of £87.83, British Telecommunications (cheque 101235).

 

 

130

d

Training

 

KALC Councillors’ Information Day. Noted

 

 

131

e

Local Council Administration

 

It was proposed by Cllr Archer, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed a copy of “Local Council Administration” 8th edition be purchased, £59 (cheque 101236)

 

11

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

132

a

BTCV Tree Warden Scheme

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that a grant of £100 be made under S111 of the LGA 1972 (cheque 101237).

 

 

133

b

Help for Heroes

 

No grant to be made.

 

 

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

134

 

 

a

Recreation Ground

 

The Clerk reported that the old goal post on the upper part of the field had been vandalised and had been removed

 

 

135

b

Allotments

 

The Clerk reported that the central tap and pipework, including the pipe from the rising main, had been badly damaged and had now been repaired

 

 

136

c

Woodland

 

The Clerk reported that the tree surgeon had looked at the trees at the rear of 8 Margetts Place. He had recommended that the Council should ask for a written report from an arboriculturalist. This was agreed.

 

 

13

 

137

 

QUALITY PARISH COUNCIL

 

Cllr Moore said that investigations were ongoing.

 

 

14

 

138

 

YOUTH

 

In the absence of both Cllr Etheridge and Cllr Ribbons there was no progress report. The Chairman said he had spoken to someone also looking for a container and she had promised to give him the details when she had found one. Cllr Mason initiated a discussion on whether or not the Council should proceed further with the project. He then proposed the Council should not proceed further with the investigations. Cllr Hicks felt it would be unfair to second and vote on this proposal in the absence of the councillors deputed to undertake the investigation. It was agreed the motion should be placed on the agenda for the next meeting. Cllr Mason said that he might not be able to attend the next meeting and asked that it be put on record that he was against the idea.

 

 

 

 

 

15

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

139

a

Approach Road to Wainscott School

 

It was reported that a resident of Wainscott Road had contacted the Clerk about a large pothole in the approach road to the entrance to Wainscott School. She had also discovered an old well in her garden that appeared to go under her garden wall and under the road.

 

 

 

 

16

 

140

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

17

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

141

a

PCSO Report

 

It was reported that PCSO Sean Brooks had been moved to Hoo and that the new PCSO was still in training.

 

 

142

b

Police Liaison Committee representative’s report

 

Cllr Miller said there had been no meeting. He had taken part in a police telephone survey. He reported on a laser gun incident in Gill Avenue which had led to an arrest. There had been an incident of a group of young people on the recreation ground who had been drinking beer from glasses and of a youth on the hall roof.

 

 

143

 

 

 

c

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller had attended the annual conference, which had been opened by Chief Superintendent Steve Corbishley. There had been a speaker on Neighbourhood Watch in South Africa.

 

 

 

 

 

 

18

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

144

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman reported on the meeting held on 16 June at Allhallows. Cllr Hicks had been re-elected Chairman and he had been re-elected as Vice-chairman. There had been a presentation on the Thames Estuary 2100 plan. There had been reports on S106 agreements, which were now available online; the local transport plan; a review of the Medway action plan and on the possibility of a rural burial ground. He, Cllr Buckwell and Cllr Marsh had been reappointed as the parish representatives on the Standards Committee. Cllr Hicks suggested that if no other parish came forward, the Council would host the meeting scheduled for 12 January 2010.

 

 

 

 

145

146

147

 

 

b

Projects

 

i   Wainscott Village sign. Ongoing.

ii   Youth project. Discussed under item 14.

iii  Other projects. The entire allocation would have to be spent by the end of the financial year. All councillors were asked to give it some thought.

 

 

19

 

KALC/MAC 

 

 

148

a

Representatives’ Report

 

Cllr Moore gave a brief report on the meeting held the previous night. There had been no speaker. There had been a new representative from Cliffe and Cliffe Woods. The main discussion had been about the change round of police officers and PCSOs.

 

 

20

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

149

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber said that the Chairman would be attending the next meeting to discuss the plans and ideas drawn up by the surveyor.

 

 

150

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The Chairman said that with the extension, toilet provision would be inadequate and the surveyor had made a suggestion which would be put to the Hall Management Committee. The estimated cost would be a further £10,000 and he suggested that this could be funded by an application to the £40,000 extra Rural Liaison grant.

 

 

21

 

151

 

WEBSITE

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

22

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

153

a

Medway Fouling of Land by Dogs Order

 

It was agreed to support the order.

 

 

23

 

154

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE

None.

 

24

 

155

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.52 pm

 

  


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Published ~ 29 July 2009

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2009 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council