FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email: clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY 22 JANUARY 2009
AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm


[ DRAFT Minutes -- to be approved at the next Meeting ]

C01/2009/1-23 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Trevor Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Paul Ribbons

 

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Walter Roberts

The Heritage Design & Development Team Ltd

 

Richard Smith

The Heritage Design & Development Team Ltd

 

Carly Stoddart

Medway Council

 

Item

Minute number 2008/9

 

Action point

 

1

 

403

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin      

Indisposed   

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore 

At another meeting

 

 

 

The Chairman advised that the Clerk was also indisposed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Archer and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

It was agreed that Cllr Mrs Coomber would take the minutes of the meeting.

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

404

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

None.

 

 

405

b

Standards Committee

 

No meeting.

 

 

3

 

406

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

4

 

407

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17th DECEMBER 2008

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Archer, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 17th December 2008 be signed as a true record.

 

5

 

408

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

No matters were raised.

 

 

8

 

 

 

409

 

 

c

 

i

 

PLANNING

 

Appeals and other matters

 

Members agreed to bring this item forward on the agenda, and the Chairman suspended the meeting. He welcomed Walter Roberts and Richard Smith of The Heritage Design & Development Team Ltd (“Heritage Team”) and Carly Stoddart from Development Control, Medway Council. Walter Roberts presented a powerpoint presentation on the proposed development of land surrounding the Tithe Barn (“Barn”) at Manor Farm. The Church Commissioners have now nominated the Heritage Team to restore the Tithe Barn within a 3 year period. It is proposed that there will be a small number of live work units and artists studios adjacent to the Barn and the edge of the quarry with living quarters above.  In addition it is envisaged that there will be a separate “village” of about 48 dwellings with a village green including a windmill as a habitable property. The Barn will contain a restaurant. Access will be from Parsonage Lane. English Heritage is supportive of the scheme. No farmland will affected by the development.

A presentation has been made to the Frindsbury & Wainscott Community Association, whose main concern was of the proposed dwellings around the edge of the quarry.

Following the presentation, Walter Roberts answered members’ questions.  

The Heritage Team has been working with Medway Council on the proposed application. It was suggested that the Heritage Team hold a Public Exhibition before submitting their planning application.

The Chairman thanked the visitors and reconvened the meeting.   

 

 

6

 

 FOOTPATHS

 

 

410

a

Representative’s Report

 

In Mr Levy’s absence there was no report.

 

The Chairman reported that Mrs Williams had sent a “thank you” card to the Parish Council for the voucher she had received at Christmas.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

411

a

Upnor Residents’ Association

 

In the absence of Cllr Moore, there was no report.

 

 

412

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

Cllr Hicks reported that the meeting planned for 20th January had been cancelled as there was nothing new to discuss. The next meeting is scheduled for 24th February.

 

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

413

i

MC2008/2042: Liberty Park Phase 1. Land to the West of Eastern By-Pass A228/A289 (North of Hoo Road, Wainscott).Revised application for approval of reserved matters (External Appearance, Siting, Design and Landscaping) pursuant to outline permission MC2005/0671 as varied by MC2007/0032 for replacement of semi-detached dwellings (plots 30-31) with a terrace of three 2-bedroomed dwellings.

 

No objection.

 

414

ii

MC2009/0005: Land adjacent to Walmer House, Cypress Court, Cypress Road, Wainscott. Construction of a three storey block comprising twelve 2-bedroomed flats with associated parking and cycle storage.

 

Decision deferred as there were no plans available.

 

 

415

iii

MC2009/0036: 47 Wainscott Road, Wainscott. Change of use from a cafe to a fast food outlet.

 

Agreed to object as follows:

 

There is currently permission for a cafe, which will generate some parking issues, but a take-away will generate far more. Wainscott Road is narrow at this point and already has on-street parking, making 2-way traffic impossible. The parking situation is naturally worse in the evenings as residents park in the street outside their homes. Patrons of take-away establishments tend to park badly or illegally and will add considerably to the problems already experienced. The constant coming and going will also cause noise nuisance and disturbance to neighbouring residents. In addition, there are already 2 take-aways and a pub in Wainscott Road as well as the Co-op which is open in the evenings and it is felt another take-away would be an over intensification of this type of outlet.

 

 

416

b

Decisions

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were noted.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

417

ii

Copies of Applications

 

Cllr Hicks has spoken to Dave Harris again about the non-provision of hard copies of applications to Parish Council Clerks. Little progress appears to have been made, and the situation is ongoing. There is a possibility that under the Local Development Framework, Clerks will be expected to go online to download applications. Members thought that this is a retrograde step, as the scale on an A4 sheet of paper is too small, and with applications for large projects there are often numerous documents.

 

 

 

 

418

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

419

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

420

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

Cheque 101196 to British Telecom for £84.98 was ratified by members.

 

421

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 101197 – 101199) as listed in Appendix B be approved, with the addition of £77.14, Cllr Trevor Archer (101200) (brackets etc. for Parish Council storage cupboard).

 

 

10

 

422

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

None.

 

11

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

 

 

423

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i   Following an inspection report on the play equipment that the Wendy House needed attention, it was agreed that the recommendation be followed up.

 

 

 

 

 

425

b

Allotments

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

 

426

c

Woodland, Lower Upnor

 

The Chairman reported on a letter that Mr Butler of 10 Margetts Place had written to Cllr Mrs Coomber. The Chairman had responded to Mr Butler by e-mail.

 

 

 

 

 

12

 

427

 

QUALITY PARISH COUNCIL

 

Cllr Hicks reported that the first meeting of the working group had been held on 6th January, attended by Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge, Cllr Peter Hicks, Cllr Geoff Moore and the Clerk. Cllr Moore had been elected Chairman of the working group. A 28 page document was considered. The next meeting has been arranged for 17th February, with a guest speaker from a Quality Parish Council.

 

 

13

 

 

YOUTH

 

428

a

Youth Club

 

The Chairman reminded members that the youth club now only met every other week, due to financial constraints. Cllr Ribbons reported that he had been in contact with Roy Smith, who advised that the youth club should be self supporting financially. Cllr Ribbons had been contacted by Mrs Sian Burns of Holly Road, who is currently running the youth club to propose that he joined the management group. However, Cllr Ribbons did not feel comfortable with this proposal. Our PCSO Sean Brooks remains involved with the club.

 

 

429

b

Container/Youth Shelter

 

Cllr Ribbons had visited the youth shelters at Cliffe and Cliffe Woods, and circulated photographs to members for consideration. The general opinion of members was that the one at Cliffe looked the better of the two.

Cllr Etheridge had ascertained that it is possible to rent converted containers for use as a youth shelter, which could just cover the Spring, Summer and Autumn months. He also suggested approaching the Royal Engineers to enlist their help with the installation works. Local businesses could also be approached to donate money, materials or labour.
 

 

14

 

430

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

15

 

431

 

LIGHTING

 

Cllr Miller referred to the light in Rolvenden Road that he had reported being on during daylight hours. This has now been rectified. The new contact at Medway Council for lighting is Mike Dickinson.

 

 

 

 

16

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

432

 

PCSO Report

 

In PCSO Brooks’s absence, there was no report.

 

 

433

b

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Miller advised that the next Police Liaison Committee meeting would be on Tuesday 27th January.

 

 

 

 

434

c

Neighbourhood Watch Report

 

Cllr Miller reported that Neighbourhood Watch had been quiet recently. He reported on the recent a theft of a vehicle and 2 burglaries, as well as scam e-mails and telephone calls. A Neighbourhood Watch news sheet will be prepared in conjunction with John Haddaway to be delivered in Rolvenden Road by Cllr Miller and John Haddaway.

 

 

17

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

435

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Coomber reported that the next Rural Liaison Committee meeting will be on Tuesday 27th January at Hilltop School, hosted by Frindsbury Extra Parish Council. There will be an opportunity to view the school’s new swimming pool. For 2008/09 there is only a sum of £10,000 available between the 11 parishes in Medway to bid for. However, he has been advised that for 2009/10 the sum available for parish projects will revert to the previous formula basis.

 

 

 

 

 

 

436

 

b

Projects

 

i   Wainscott Village sign. This is ongoing.

 

18

 

KALC/MAC 

 

 

437

a

Representatives’ Report

 

In the absence of Cllr Moore there was no report.

 

 

 

 

19

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

438

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported that there had been no meeting

 

 

439

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The Chairman reported on a sketch plan prepared by J A Warner and Partners for  2 interlinked extensions to the Hall. The first has an estimated cost of £75,000, and the second £100,000, both sums being S106 monies to be received via Medway Council. The only query is the adequacy of toilet facilities following the extensions. This will be addressed.

The Chairman proposed that J A Warner and Partners be instructed to draw up formal plans to be submitted to Medway Council to cover both extensions. This was seconded by Cllr Etheridge and unanimously agreed.

 

 

20

 

440

 

WEBSITE

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

21

 

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

441

a

Code of recommended practice for local authority publicity

 

Agreed no action.

 

 

22

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

442

a

ACRK - Parish Plan questionnaire

 

Cllr Hicks advised that he will be attending a meeting in this respect, and will report back at the next meeting.

 

 

23

 

443

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.15 pm

 

  


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Revised ~ 25 February 2009

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2009 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council