FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email: clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY 26 FEBRUARY 2009
AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm


[ DRAFT Minutes -- to be approved at the next Meeting ]

C02/2009/1-24 

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Trevor Archer

 

Except item 11a

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mark Greenfield

Greenfield Bootfairs

 

John Greenfield

Greenfield Bootfairs

 

Richard Castle

Local farmer

 

PC John Fallon

 

 

PCSO Sue Fill

 

Item

Minute number 2008/9

 

Action point

 

1

 

444

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin      

Indisposed   

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason   

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Paul Ribbons

Work commitments

 

 

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Archer and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

445

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

None.

 

 

446

b

Standards Committee

 

No meeting.

 

 

3

 

447

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

4

 

448

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 22 JANUARY 2009

 

It was proposed by Cllr Archer, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 22 January 2009 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

449

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

No matters were raised.

 

6

 

450

 

PROPOSED BOOTFAIR

 

The Chairman welcomed the proprietors of Greenfield Bootfairs and local farmer Richard Castle to the meeting. He suspended the meeting to allow them to speak.

 

Mr Castle informed members that the site was the field immediately opposite the Sans Pareil pub. It had been grassed so that it was suitable for the bootfair and if it was too wet the fair would not be held. Mr Mark Greenfield outlined the traffic control system, entry would be by means of the gate at the top of Frindsbury Hill. Traffic coming from Strood would not be allowed to turn right into the site, cars would be directed round the roundabout. The exit would be from the gate at the bottom of the field onto Berwick Way and all queuing traffic would be contained on the field. The fair would operate on 14 Sundays between May and August, finishing by 2.00 pm. Planning permission was not needed. Mr Greenfield said he had dealt with Medway Council over his fair at Gillingham for many years with no problems. All rubbish was cleared from the site and the field was spotless afterwards. All three representatives emphasised that should there be any problems, they would stop the fair immediately.

 

The Chairman reconvened the meeting. Correspondence from the Frindsbury & Wainscott Community Association and local residents was read. After discussion, it was agreed by consensus that the Parish Council was not against the bootfair.

 

 

As PC Fallon and PCSO Fill were present, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

 

17

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

451

 

PC Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow PC Fallon to give his report.

 

PC Fallon reported that there had been complaints about vehicles stopping at the end of Gill Avenue. No calls about snowballs had been received during the recent snowy weather. Youths hanging about outside the hall had been moved on.

 

The Chairman thanked PC Fallon and reconvened the meeting. Cllrs Miller and Archer reported cars parked on the pavements in Iden Road and Grant Road.

 

 

452

b

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Miller reported that Inspector Robin Wharfe had retired. Sgt T Roullier had been present at the last Liaison meeting. A crime survey throughout Medway had shown that teenage problems had reduced dramatically in the Strood Rural and Peninsula wards but had increased in all other areas. Cllr Miller said he had raised the anti-social behaviour at the hall experienced during recent meetings and the sergeant ad confirmed action had been taken.

 

 

 

 

453

c

Neighbourhood Watch Report

 

Cllr Miller said he had mentioned bogus caller burglaries at the last meeting. These were becoming ineffective for the burglars as people were now aware. There had been a number of arrests for distraction burglaries. Locally there had been a burglary in Grasmere Grove and a garage had been broken into in Iden Road.

 

 

7

 

 FOOTPATHS

 

 

454

a

Representative’s Report

 

In Mr Levy’s absence there was no report.

 

 

8

 

UPNOR

 

 

455

a

Upnor Residents’ Association

 

Cllr Moore said he would be attending the next meeting.

 

 

456

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

The Chairman reported on the meeting held on 24 February, which he had chaired in the absence of Cllr Hicks. The biodiversity report had been forwarded to the Environment Agency and it was hoped they would withdraw their objection so that the planning application could be re-submitted. Some members had suggested that the project should commence with the third phase as it was felt the footpath was the area most in need of work. The Chairman had explained that work on the green could be done reasonably quickly and cheaply and would establish start of the project. After discussion it was agreed the Clerk approach Groundwork for a soft landscaping plan for the actual green itself which was in the Parish Council’s ownership. The Parish Council could undertake the work in the autumn and decisions on street furniture and surface treatments would not be needed. Contributions to the project by the partners had been discussed and would be discussed in greater depth at the next meeting when Cllr Hicks would be present.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB

457

c

Frog Island Pond

 

The email from a resident was discussed. The Clerk had asked Medway Council about the ownership of the pond but had received no reply. It was suggested that Jane Robertson of Natural England be asked to investigate.

 

 

 

RB

9

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

458

i

MC2007/1904: Sandacres, Upnor Road, Lower Upnor: Construction of 35 dwellings – revised drawings

 

The revised drawings showed a different traffic calming measure opposite the entrance to the site. After discussion it was agreed to object:

 

Frindsbury Extra Parish Council continues to object to this application. Please see previous submissions. The Parish Council objects to these revised drawings showing a traffic calming feature. The Parish Council sees a problem with the traffic that 35 dwellings would generate exiting the access to the site which is on a bend, with no clear sightline to the left. It does not view speed of traffic as the issue here. The traffic calming feature would not make the exiting of the site any easier. The developer also has to be aware of the fact that there are 2 sailing clubs in Lower Upnor, whose only access is along the road passing the site. The traffic calming feature would pose problems for members of the clubs towing boats. In addition the Arethusa Venture Centre attracts coaches of school children and these might also have difficulty in negotiating the feature, not to mention wider service vehicles such as dust carts, service buses and fire engines. 

 

 

 

 

The Parish Council reiterates its request that should permission be granted by the planning authority or on appeal, S106 money should be made available towards the Lower Upnor Riverside enhancement project.

 

 

459

b

Decisions

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were noted.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

460

i

MC2009/0005: Land adjacent to Walmer House, Cypress Court, Cypress Road, Wainscott. Construction of a three storey block comprising twelve 2-bedroomed flats with associated parking and cycle storage.

 

Cllr Miller reported that the steps were now covered by a plastic sheet and he wondered whether they would be reinstated or not.

 

 

 

 

461

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

10

 

FINANCE

 

 

462

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

463

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

Cheque 101201 to D Godden for £320 was ratified by members.

 

 

464

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Archer and agreed the account for payment (cheque 101202) as listed in Appendix B be approved, with the addition of £2.96, Southern Water (101203) and £320, D Godden (101204).

 

 

465

d

Training

 

i   KALC Planning Information Day. Cllrs Archer and Mrs Archer would attend at a cost of £60 (total £138, cheque 101205, KALC)

ii  Legal and Financial Update Training for Clerks. The Clerk would attend this at a cost of £60 (£69, cheque 101206, Sussex Association of Local Councils)

 

11

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

466

a

Frindsbury Extra Memorial Hall

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge and seconded by Cllr Moore that a grant be made to the Management Committee of the insurance premium. Cllr Mrs Coomber declared a personal interest as the Committee’s Secretary and reminded members she was also the Parish Council’s nominee on the Committee and her interest was not prejudicial. Cllr Archer declared a personal and prejudicial interest as the Committee Treasurer and left the room. The proposal was carried unanimously and the amount would be confirmed at the next meeting of the Council. The grant made under S 19 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

 

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

 

 

467

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

468

b

Allotments

 

Green Acre Landscapes had quoted £45 per month to carry out rat control. This was cheaper over 3 months than Rentokil and more frequent. It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Mrs Archer and agreed the quotation be accepted. Green Acre Landscapes had also suggested they could carry out routine maintenance on the allotments at a cost of £50 a visit. It was envisaged this would be once a month during the summer and less frequently during the rest of the year. A decision was deferred for budgetary information to be available. The Clerk reported she had persuaded one plot holder to give up one of his allotments as there was now a waiting list.

 

 

 

469

c

Woodland, Lower Upnor

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

 

13

 

470

 

QUALITY PARISH COUNCIL

 

Cllr Moore reported that the meeting had been postponed in the absence of a speaker from a Quality Parish Council and would now be held on 17 March.

 

 

14

 

 

YOUTH

 

471

a

Youth Club – to Appoint Representative

 

No member present wished to act as the Council’s representative on the Youth Club Committee. The representative did not have to be a member of the Council and councillors were asked to give consideration to the matter.

 

 

472

b

Container/Youth Shelter

 

Cllr Etheridge said he would invite the company he had identified to a site meeting with Cllr Ribbons and himself.

 

 

 

GE

15

 

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

473

a

Speeding, Anthony’s Way

 

The e-mail from a resident of Upnor was discussed. It was agreed that Medway Council be asked to move the sign so that it was seen before turning the corner and for a speed camera.

 

 

474

b

One Way System in Upnor

 

The Upnor resident’s suggestion was discussed. It was pointed out that Upchat Road was in the ownership of the MoD and subject to closure without notice and probably it would not be possible to impose a one way system on this section. The idea would be passed on to Medway Council.

 

 

475

c

Flytipping

 

This had already been reported to Medway Council.

 

 

474

d

Ownership of Lane behind Admiralty Terrace

 

Medway Council had confirmed this lane was owned by the MoD.

 

 

16

 

475

 

LIGHTING

 

It was reported the light on Holly Road outside the hall was on during the day.

 

 

 

 

18

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

476

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman reported on the meeting held on 27 January. Speedwatch had been discussed. Parishes still interested were asked to contact Sue Negus. The Chairman opened a discussion on whether the Parish Council was still interested. It was decided by consensus that the matter should not be pursued any longer. Allhallows PC had asked if other parishes would wish to attend a meeting with Arriva about the 191 bus service. It was agreed the Council would not attend such a meeting but would support Allhallows. There had been an update on the E-on fund. Catherine Smith had given a presentation on the Farrell vision for the Hoo Peninsula.

 

 

 

 

 

 

477

478

 

b

Projects

 

i   Wainscott Village sign. Ongoing.

ii  Youth facility. Ongoing.

 

19

 

KALC/MAC 

 

 

479

a

Representatives’ Report

 

Cllr Moore reported on the recent meeting. A presentation had been given by Peter Bown on Medway Council’s budget and the Council Tax.

 

 

 

 

20

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

480

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported that there had been no meeting. She said the hall floor would be redone the week beginning 6 April.

 

 

481

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The Chairman reported that a survey would be done before the planning application was made. The sketch plan had shown that the existing toilets should be extended, but it was now considered preferable that separate toilets should be incorporated in the first phase extension. He had spoken to Catherine Smith regarding the S 106 monies.

 

 

21

 

482

 

WEBSITE

 

The Webmaster’s report was tabled:

 

 

 

 

A visible ‘hit counter’ is now on display at the bottom of the Parish Council's web site home page.  As at 24 February, it registered 387 visitors.  Bearing in mind that this will be a more accurate reflection of human readers, rather than webrobots or automated text web spiders, then this is a commendable number.

 

Recent updates have included PC Minutes and Agenda as well as revised bus timetable links and updated The Villager excursion bus information link. 

 

 

22

 

482

 

 

CONSULTATION

 

No documents received.

 

 

23

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

483

a

Kent Village of the Year Competition

 

Noted.

 

 

484

b

Rural Housing Needs Survey

 

It was believed this only applied to Upnor. The Clerk to confirm this with Catherine Smith and to suggest the Upnor Residents Association be approached to help with delivery of the forms.

 

 

 

RB

485

c

Volunteer Community First Responder

 

Agreed no action.

 

 

24

 

486

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

3

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

 

487

a

Annual Parish Meeting

 

This had been arranged for 7 April but could no longer take place on that day as the hall would be closed for work to the floor. Another date would be sought.

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.10 pm

 

  


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Revised ~ 08 April 2009

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2009 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council