FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email: clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

 

C/09/2008/1-22

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON THURSDAY 25 SEPTEMBER 2008
AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

  

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

From item 7b

 

Cllr Tom Mason

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

Cllr Paul Ribbons

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr Roy Smith

Medway Council

 

 

Mrs Wendy Williams

Assistant Footpaths Officer

 

Item

Minute number 2008/9

 

Action point

 

1

 

209

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

Cllr Trevor Archer

indisposed

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

indisposed

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

Apologies for absence were also received from Mr David Levy, Footpaths Officer and PCSO Sean Brooks. An apology for late arrival was received from Cllr Peter Hicks.

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

210

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

None.

 

 

211

b

Standards Committee

 

The Chairman reported that there had been two meetings since the last parish council meeting. One had been a short meeting and the other had consisted of training.

 

 

3

 

212

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

4

 

213

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 27 JULY 2008

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Moore and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 27 July 2008 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

214

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

No matters were raised.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

215

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to enable Mrs Williams to speak.

 

Mrs Williams reported the footpaths were all clear. One of the strimmers had been put in to Medway Mowers for repair, but this was taking some time and it might become apparent the machine was unrepairable.  In response to a question from Cllr Mrs Etheridge, Mrs Williams conformed that usually they had all the correct equipment.

 

The Chairman thanked Mrs Williams and reconvened the meeting.

 

After discussion, it was proposed by Cllr Mason, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed a new strimmer be purchased. Mr Levy would be asked to provide details of the current model.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

216

b

Footpath Closure, Hilltop School

 

The notices about the closure order had been posted and the Parish Council consulted. It was agreed the Council would continue to support the footpath closure and the Clerk would write accordingly.

 

 

7

 

 

YOUTH

 

217

a

Youth Club

 

As Roy Smith was in attendance the Chairman suspended the meeting to enable him to speak.

 

Mr Smith said he had been investigating youth provision in the area. He had been out with the volunteers from the Youth Club and spoken to mixed groups. He had been pleased with the range represented.  The Youth Club wanted to continue as a voluntary concern and they were trying to put together a management committee. Members of the Youth Club needed to register. There was a regular attendance of 20 – 30. He believed they were thinking of buying a computer. The Chairman said that the downside would be lack of internet access.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Smith and reconvened the meeting.

 

Cllr Ribbons said he would speak to Mr Smith about the Youth Club management committee.

 

 

218

b

Container/Youth Shelter

 

Cllr Etheridge reported on his further investigations over the conversion of a container into a youth shelter. It would cost in the region of £2,000 plus delivery.

 

 

 

He would be happy to visit the company involved. He asked that the Chairman suspend the meeting to allow Mr Smith to contribute to the discussion. The Chairman duly suspended the meeting.

 

Mr Smith described the youth shelters in Cliffe and in Cliffe Woods. The Cliffe shelter was well used but he could not deny there had been problems.  The Cliffe. Woods shelter was of a different design and was equipped with solar lights and a small radio.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Smith for the information and reconvened the meeting.

 

After discussion it was agreed Cllr Etheridge arrange for councillors to look at the shelters in Cliffe and Cliffe Woods and that the item be placed on the agenda for the next meeting.  Cllr Hicks said he had received an e-mail from a resident in Wainscott, who had spoken to youths as she had come out of church. They had indicated they would use a ball-park. The cost would be in the region of £60,000 - £80,000 and this would be a long-term aspiration. He suggested that with sponsorship and S 106 funding, a suitable site would be on the open space in the Crest Nicholson Wainscott development.

 

 

8

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

219

a

PCSO Report

 

The Clerk read PCSO Sean Brooks’s report:

 

Firstly, apologies for PC John Fallon and my non-attendance for the meeting tonight due to shift patterns restricting us from doing so.

 

Secondly, the main issues I would like to address to the council include the following:

 

Memorial Hall

  • I have been made aware from local residents of possible drug dealing by the side of the Memorial Hall. I have patrolled this area, recorded suspicious activity and spoken to youths. However, there has been no presence of drugs being used or found. If there are still suspicions of drug being dealt, please forward details to myself or crime stoppers at 08000 555111.
  • Another issue refers to mopeds/scooters being driven on footpaths in Holly Road and the Memorial Hall alleyway. John Fallon and myself continue to monitor the situation when possible. In order to deal with this, we need either to catch them in the act or for witnesses to provide witness statements, vehicle indexes, and details and descriptions of offenders.

Graffiti

  • In recent months graffiti has been an issue in the area. On Thursday 21st August I conducted a ‘graffiti clear up’ and wiped graffiti mainly from lampposts and road signs. Main graffiti tags included ‘REACT’ ‘HENCH’ and ‘RAZOR’. Please forward details if there is any intelligence leading to possible offenders causing the graffiti.

 

 

 

Thefts

  • Thefts of decorative dustcaps were made over the summer holidays on various vehicles in the Wainscott area. On Friday 15th August John Fallon and myself identified 2 youth offenders with at least 20 dustcaps. The youths have since been cautioned by Police. Unfortunately, since that day thefts of dustcaps and hubcaps have still been occurring, which is currently being looked into.
  • Within the last week we were made aware of wing mirror thefts from the  Benenden Road area. These crimes have since been reported and investigated by the Police. All occurrences are happening late at night. I am currently making patrols along the area on late shifts to help deter the situation.

Hilltop Primary School

  • A property in Iden Road has received criminal damage, believed to be caused by unknown youth offenders who throw items from the Hilltop School field. The school Headteacher has made me previously aware that no one (other than school staff and pupils) is permitted to enter the school field. The youths gain access onto the field by bypassing through the unsecured wooden gate in the public footpath between Cooling Road/Hilltop Road. I have engaged with youths that congregate on the field, taken details and moved them on.

 

Recreation Ground Shelter

  • Regarding the possible building of a shelter in the Holly Road recreation ground, I believe that this will be beneficial for local youths and residents. The youths I have approached in the last year have all told me that they wished for a new shelter. The youths that are currently congregating around the Memorial Hall have given an impression to some residents of intimidation, even though they may only be socialising. With the shelter in place, the youths would have a place to congregate, and have limited needs to stay by the Memorial Hall. A reason the youths stay by the Hall is believed to be for substantial lighting in night hours. With the winter months approaching, substantial light for the shelter would give the youths more reason to stay by it. There are fears due to the last shelter being burnt down, but I believe that the youths have realised what they have lost and would not want to abuse their privileges.

Personnel

  • I have received a new pedal bike, which I will now be using on most day shifts enabling me to patrol the area more efficiently.
  • PC John Fallon is currently on annual leave until Thursday 2nd October.
  • I will be on annual leave between Wednesday 8th to Sunday 26th October.

If anyone wants to discuss or provide information on any of the said topics, please feel free to contact me via e-mail (sean.brooks@kent.pnn.police.uk) or telephone number 01634 792346.

 

 

220

a

Police Liaison Committee Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Miller reported on the awards dinner held at Leeds Castle for the Safer Kent Awards, when he had been presented with an award. He reported on the last police liaison meeting. There had been a problem with motorised scooters around Stoke Village Hall. There had been little activity, it was thought due to the policing of the camp for climate change. Attention had been paid to speeding on the B2000 and there had been 36 arrests, including for other offences. The next meeting would be held on 25 November. 

 

221

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller had attended the AGM. The guest speaker had been Chris Rogers of the Kent and Medway Camera Safety Partnership. Recent crimes notified had all been connected with vehicles.

 

 

9

 

UPNOR

 

 

222

a

Upnor Residents’ Association

 

Cllr Moore had not attended the last meeting. The cricket match would be held on 28 September. He had attended the Arethusa Old Boys’ dedication, which had been well-attended. Cllr Mason said the old London Stone was illegible.

 

 

223

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

Cllr Hicks said the last meeting of the partnership had been cancelled and the next was scheduled for 21 October. He reported on a meeting arranged by Catherine Smith, that had involved other agencies, eg Natural England and English Heritage. The Clerk reported that the planning officer was asking for yet another meeting. The Chairman said he would arrange a meeting and ask Catherine Smith as Medway Council’s representative on the partnership to go with him. It was agreed the Clerk pursue with Groundwork a detailed landscape design for the village green so that reserved matters and funding could be applied for.

 

 

10

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

224

i

MC2008/1536: Land either side of Hoo Road, Wainscott: Application for approval of reserved matters (siting and design) pursuant to outline permission MC2005/0671 for construction of 188 dwellings and associated garages, parking and ancillary works.

 

The application copy had not arrived in time for councillors and the Clerk to study in detail. In view of the large number of documents, it was agreed to delegate the response to the Clerk, with help from the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

225

ii

MC2008/1540: 16 Grasmere Grove, Frindsbury: Rear conservatory

 

No objection, provided no objection from neighbours.

 

 

226

iii

MC2008/1547: Co-operative Store, Wainscott Road, Wainscott: Advertisement Consent for installation of two externally illuminated fascia signs and one internally illuminated projecting sign

 

No objection.

 

 

227

b

Decisions

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were noted.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

228

i

Manor Farm

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

229

ii

Copies of Applications

 

The Clerk had written to Robin Cooper at Medway Council, but with no response.

 

 

230

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

11

 

FINANCE

 

 

231

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

232

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheques signed since the last meeting as listed on the agenda were ratified.

 

 

233

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Archer and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 101165 – 101168) as listed in Appendix B be approved, with the addition of £73.83, British Telecommunications (101169).

 

 

234

d

Training and Seminars

 

i      KALC Finance Information Day. Nobody wished to attend this event.

 

 

235

e

Finance Committee Meeting

 

A budget meeting of the Finance Committee would be held on Tuesday 21 October at 7.30 pm.

 

 

12

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

 

236

a

“Medway Queen” Restoration

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed a grant of £100 be made under S144 of the LGA 1972. The cheque to be drawn at the next meeting.

 

 

13

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

 

 

237

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i   General Maintenance. The contractor had informed the Clerk he would be using the flail again on the Brompton Farm Road hedge again and hoped this time it would be done low enough for him to cut it himself in future.

 

 

 

 

 

238

 

ii   Fireworks. A request had been made by a hall hirer to have a firework display on the recreation ground. It was proposed by Cllr Hicks, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed unanimously that a policy be adopted that no fireworks be permitted, unless professionally organised by the Parish Council.

 

 

239

b

Allotments

 

The Clerk reported on the 3 quotations obtained for lengthening the water run and installing new taps. After discussion it was agreed to defer the item to the February meeting, as any work would need to be completed in March before the growing season began. In the meantime the Clerk would try to negotiate the price down with the contractors.

 

 

 

240

c

Woodland, Lower Upnor

 

Laverock Tree Care had quoted £560 to undertake necessary work to the woodland at the rear of 9 Margetts Place. It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and agreed this be accepted.

 

 

 

 

 

14

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

241

a

Yellow Lines, Lower Upnor

 

It was reported the signs were now up.

 

 

242

b

Traffic Calming

 

The Chairman reported he was seeing a Highway Officer on 17 October about S106 agreements. He had obtained data on the speed indicator device in Brompton Farm Road for one day. Only 5 vehicles had travelled between 36 and 41 mph. Cllr Ribbons said the device in Lower Upnor had made a difference. He also reported that the granite blocks that formed a chicane in Galleon Way were falling apart. It was pointed out that the roads had still not been handed over by the developer to the local authority.

 

 

 

 

 

243

c

Sans Pareil Roundabout

 

Cllr Mason said that the roundabout was a nightmare for residents. He asked that the Parish Council ask the Highway Authority to investigate. Cllr Hicks said that it was already under investigation. The installation of traffic lights had been agreed but it was tied in with the planning application for the retail warehouse/park and ride scheme.

 

 

15

 

244

 

LIGHTING

 

Cllr Miller said he had reported a light that was on all day in Rolvenden Road..

 

 

 

 

16

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

245

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman reported on the meeting held on 29 July, which had been hosted by St James’s, Isle of Grain Parish Council. There had been a presentation on local housing needs in Medway and Brian McCutcheon had spoken about the Chattenden development and other large projects. An update had been given on the Eon fund.  

 

 

 

246

b

Open Meeting

 

Councillors were reminded of the open meeting to be held on Thursday 30 October at 6 pm in the Community Centre at Chattenden.

 

 

247

c

Rural Liaison Grant

 

A letter had been received from Peter Bown, which had been circulated. The Clerk would reply following discussion under the next item.

 

 

 

 

248

 

249

250

 

251

d

Projects

 

i   Wainscott Village sign. The Clerk reported on the first design drawing. Suggestions had been made and the designer was working these up.

ii   Cooling Road/Brompton Farm Road corner. No further progress.

iii   Spring bulbs. It was now too late to order these.

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed that the Cooling Road and spring bulbs projects be deleted and the money allocated to the youth shelter if it was decided to go ahead with it or to other provision for youth if not.

 

 

17

 

KALC/MAC 

 

 

252

a

Representatives’ Report

 

Cllr Moore reported on the last meeting. Items raised had been the policing for the Camp for climate change and the playpark being opened in Hoo in November. There had been an interesting talk on the history of the “Medway Queen” and its restoration. Cllr Mrs Etheridge suggested he be asked to speak at the Annual Parish Meeting.

 

 

18

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

253

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber said no meeting had been held.

 

 

254

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported that the shelves were now up. There was a problem with the heating following the repair to the damaged radiator caused by the Youth Club..

 

 

19

 

255

 

WEBSITE

 

The Clerk read the Webmaster’s report:

 

In the past 12 month rolling period, we have had some 29,029 hits on the Frindsbury Extra Parish Council website.  For the last complete month of August the statistics counted 2,375 hits, which is an average of 76 visitors per day.  [Note: a proportion of these hits were from me, as Webmaster, accessing the site to upload information or check web site consistency, plus numerous internet 'robot crawlers' visiting the web pages gathering data for indexing or to populate search engines directories.] The most popular viewed web pages during the month of August were the Walks, More About the parish, the Lower Upnor Riverside Project Page as well as the usual PC Minutes and Agenda pages. Visitors to the web site that used  internet search engines (rather than typing in the address direct) keyed this search term the most: “Wainscott Memorial Hall”. Other search terms noted include: “Frindsbury”, “castle grounds” and, interestingly, “is there planning permission for a car park in Lower Upnor”.

  

 

20

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

256

a

Draft Regional Spinal Strategy Plan

 

Received.

 

 

257

b

KCC: Planning for Gypsies

 

Received.

 

 

258

c

DCLG: Making and Enforcement of Byelaws

 

Received.

 

 

21

 

259

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None received.

 

 

22

 

260

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.35 pm

 


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Revised ~ 10 November 2008

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2008 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council