FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to:- Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

C/11/2007/1-22

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON THURSDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2007

AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

  Cllr Trevor Archer    
  Cllr Gary Etheridge    
  Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin    

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Paul Ribbons

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

PCSO Sean Brooks

 

 

 

PCSO Joan Wilkins

 

 

 

Item

Minute number 2007/8

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

286

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

Attending another meeting

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

Indisposed

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

At a meeting of Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

Attending another meeting

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Hoskin and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

 

287

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

Cllr Coomber declared a personal interest in item 8a(ii), planning application for 222 Brompton Farm Road, as living in the same road..

 

 

 

288

b

Standards Committee

 

The Chairman reported on the last meeting. The Standards Board had decided that it would devolve down to local authorities but not contribute financially. From April 2008 every complaint would be dealt with locally but the Monitoring Officer would no longer be able to filter complaints, all would have to be considered by the Standards Committee. To date the Standards Committee had not had a budget or needed one and there would now be a financial impact. There had now been one complaint and 50 man hours had been spent on the case.

 

 

 

3

 

289

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

 

4

 

290

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 25 OCTOBER 2007

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Miller and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 25 October 2007 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

291

a

C/10/07/20(282): December Meeting

 

The hall was unavailable on 18 December and the meeting would be held at the Arethusa Venture Centre.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

292

a

Representative's Report

 

In Mr Levy's absence, there was no report. It was thought that Mrs Levy had had an operation and it was agreed that flowers be sent. Cllr Mrs Hoskin would take these when she visited.

 

The new PROW officer at Medway Council was David Leipnick.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

293

a

Upnor Residents Association

 

The minutes of the meeting on 16 October had been circulated. In Cllr Moore's absence there was no report on the meeting held on 20 November.

 

 

294

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

The Clerk reported she now had an appointment to see Susan Elliott of Graham Simpkin Planning Consultancy about the submission of the planning application.

 

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

295

i

MC2007/1904: Sandacres, Upnor Road, Lower Upnor: Demolition of existing dwelling and construction of 35 dwellings with garages and associated parking (resubmission of MC2007/0077)

 

After discussion it was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Ribbons and agreed that the Council object as follows:

 

Frindsbury Extra Parish Council objects strongly to this application.

 

The Parish Council objected to MC2007/0077, which was for a development of 43 dwellings on the site. The reasons for objection were:

 

"The Council accepts there is planning permission granted for a small development of nine 4 and 5 bedroomed detached houses in the grounds of Sandacres. The Council did not object to this application in principle, but members expressed concern at the extra traffic that would be generated.

 

There is a vast difference however between a small low density development, which retains the original dwelling and the nature reserve and the present application for demolition of the original house and construction of 43 dwellings on the entire site, including the nature reserve.

 

 

 

In Barton Willmore's Planning Statement it says:

 

Para 1.2: The site is part of the larger Upnor quarry site allocated for residential development in the Medway Local Plan. The Parish Council disputes this statement. It believes the Upnor Quarry site as identified in the Local Plan for residential development of 100 dwellings is the site now occupied by 110 dwellings and that the property known as Sandacres and its grounds were not part of this site.

 

2.5: The Medway Yacht Club is based in Lower Upnor . So is the Upnor Sailing Club, which is much nearer to the application site. There is also the Ship public house and a convenience store that was built as part of the residential development of the Upnor Quarry site. Barton Willmore have ignored the presence of The Pier public house. The convenience store has now closed as being unviable.

 

5.3: It is clear from the above (statement from the “Barker Review of Housing Supply” quoted in para 5.2) that essential housing needs are not currently being met. This statement does not apply to Frindsbury Extra civil parish. In the last ten years over 500 houses have been built in the parish and at least another 280 are in the local plan. In this latter case another developer is seeking to build up to 400, instead of 280. In Lower Upnor itself the quarry development, started

by Wilson Connolly and completed by Taylor Woodrow, doubled the number of houses in the village.

 

5.60: low density housing will not be permitted in or close to town centres, near existing or proposed public transport access points or along routes capable of being well served by public transport and which are close to local facilities. Lower Upnor is not a town centre nor close to one, two buses a day cannot be said to be being well served by public transport and there are no local facilities. A development of over 30 dwellings per hectare therefore does not apply.

 

5.65: In rural areas 2 parking spaces are sought for dwellings of 2 or 3 bedrooms, whilst 3 parking spaces are sought for dwellings of four or more bedrooms. The developer is proposing 1.7 spaces which is below these guidelines.

 

5.71: Development will be located so as to maximise accessibility to housing, jobs, open space, public transport and social, community and cultural facilities. Accessibility to jobs and cultural facilities is only possible by means of the car as public transport is inadequate for these purposes. This applies equally to schools as there are none in Upnor.

 

5.75: Densities of 30-40 dwellings per hectare are appropriate in areas within or adjacent to existing low density suburbs. Lower Upnor is a village of 200 properties and is not a suburb nor adjacent to one.

 

It is noted that the applicant has commissioned and provided various ecological assessments. However, the Parish Council has been informed by local residents that there are bats (a protected species) on the site, believed to be in the roof space of Sandacres. The Parish Council has also been informed that the area shown on the application plans for MC2003/2051 as “Nature Reserve” has a variety of flora and fauna that would be disturbed or dispersed by houses built on this area.

 

 

 

 

 The highway system in the vicinity consists of a private military road (Upchat Road), which is open to the general public but over which the highway authority has no control and Upnor Road , which joins the Medway Tunnel approach road. Upnor Road is difficult to access if approaching from Wainscott Road or Frindsbury Hill and egress from Upnor by Upnor Road entails joining the Medway Tunnel traffic and changing lanes unless going through the tunnel. Both manoeuvres are difficult at times of peak traffic flow. An extra 43 dwellings with the likelihood of at least two cars per household will add to the problem. In the village itself overspill parking already exists as there are not enough parking spaces. It is probable that parking from the Sandacres development would overspill onto Upnor Road in the same way. The public car park is at the other end of the village and closes at dusk and therefore cannot be used by evening visitors.”

 

The Parish Council does not consider that the current application for 35 dwellings is materially different and the objections are the same.

 

It is noted from the Planning Statement for the current application that attempts have been made to redress some of the reasons for refusal to the original application and that this has reduced the number of dwellings from 43 to 35. In spite of these attempts, the Parish Council still considers that a development of this number of houses is too much for this site and remains very concerned over the vehicular access and the numbers of vehicles that will be coming out onto Upnor Road, especially at peak times. The Parish Council also remains very concerned over the lack of parking provision. The adjacent development has already caused major problems with parking both within the estate and especially on Upnor Road, due to lack of parking provision. In spite of the retention of more trees, the proposed development would result in the destruction of the wooded nature of the site, which would have an impact on the rural nature of this part of the village.

 

The Parish Council supports fully the letter of objection sent by the Upnor Residents Society. It also understands that some local residents will be objecting.

 

The Parish Council also repeats the requests it made to MC2007/0077, concerning any Section 106 agreement:

 

Should the planning authority be minded to approve the application or should permission be granted on appeal, the Parish Council requests Section 106 agreements be established for the following:

 

Education: Money for education to be made available to all 3 primary schools in the parish (Hilltop, Temple Mill and Wainscott). There is no school in Upnor, children must therefore travel to primary as well as secondary school.

 

Open space: The open space agreement for provision off site, for the Lower Upnor Riverside Project. This is a project to upgrade and enhance the riverfront in Lower Upnor for the benefit of the local community and visitors to this tourist area of Medway. The partners in this project are: Frindsbury Extra Parish Council, Upnor Residents Society, Medway Council, Arethusa Venture Centre, Groundwork Medway Swale, Medway Swale Estuary Partnership and the Medway Yacht Club. The Director of Greening the Gateway, Kent and Medway is now also involved and fully supports the scheme.

 

Community: Any money to benefit the community should also be for the Lower Upnor Riverside Project.

 

 

296

ii

MC2007/1977: 222 Brompton Farm Road , Frindsbury Extra: Extension to garage and porch.

 

No objection

 

297

iii

MC2007/1924: 35 Jarrett Avenue , Wainscott: Construction of a first floor rear extension

 

No objection, provided the planning case officer is satisfied there is no loss of amenity to the adjoining neighbours

 

 

298

iv

MC2007/2068: 4 The Packhouse, Noke Street Farm, Higham Road, Wainscott: Change of use from storage to workshop

 

No objection

 

 

299

b

Decisions

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were noted.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

300

i

Manor Farm

 

The Chairman reported that he understood the Frindsbury and Wainscott Community Association were of the opinion there should be a public appeal to restore the barn and obtain lottery funding and that they would be organising a public meeting. He had attended the public exhibition but there had been nothing new since the presentation made to the Planning Committee.

 

 

301

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

302

e

Minutes of the Planning Committee held on 8 November

 

Received.

 

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

303

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

304

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

None

 

 

305

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Ribbons and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 101091 – 101092) as listed in Appendix B be approved, together with £7.50 to KAPC (cheque 101093).

 

 

10

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

 

306

a

St Dunstan's

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Hoskin, seconded by Cllr Miller and agreed that a grant of £100 be made under S137 of the LGA 1972 (cheque 101094).

 

 

11

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

307

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

12

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

308

a

Vehicle Activated Speed Signs

 

The Chairman reported the sign in Brompton Farm Road still needed re-calibrating. He had spoken to Cllr Filmer who would pursue the matter with Keith Hanshaw.

 

 

309

b

Yellow Lines, Lower Upnor

 

The Clerk reported she had had an e-mail from a resident of Galleon Way about the enforcement of the yellow lines. She had contacted the Highways Manager who was asking officers to investigate. She thought there might be some confusion with Galleon Way itself which remained unadopted. The same resident had subsequently complained that the road was not being swept. This was still the responsibility of the developer but she had again passed the comment on to the Highways Manager. Coincidentally the Chairman of the Upnor Residents' Association had had a site meeting with Mr Morris of Highways but the outcome of that meeting was unknown.

 

 

13

 

310

 

LIGHTING

 

Cllr Ribbons reported a light was out in Galleon Way and would report this to Medway Council.

 

 

 

PR

14

 

311

 

YOUTH

 

The Chairman welcomed PCSOs Sean Brooks and Joan Wilkins to the meeting and suspended it to allow them to speak.

 

PCSO Brooks said there had only been one incident of egg throwing at Hallowe'en. Cllr Mrs Hoskin mentioned the behaviour of young people outside the Co-op in Wainscott Road and PCSO Brooks said when they were aware of his presence they moved off.

 

The Chairman reconvened the meeting.

 

 

As PCSO Brooks and PCSO Wilkins were in attendance, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

312

a

Police Liaison Committee Representative's Report

 

Cllr Miller said he had heard nothing to suggest the meetings would continue. Members agreed that this was disappointing and Cllr Coomber said he would ask for the item to be included at the next Rural Liaison Committee meeting as an urgent matter. There followed a discussion with the PCSOs about the background of the meetings.

 

 

313

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller reported that the parcel delivery scam appeared to be an old one but said that new scams replaced them. He was pleased to report that offenders who it was thought had stolen car keys and then the vehicles had been arrested and were awaiting court appearances. He reported on thefts of and from cars in Upnor and Iden Road . He reminded members that Kent Fire and Rescue carried out fire checks and fitted free fire alarms. The number to arrange this service was 0800 923 7000. N-power had given a telephone number for home owners to check the identity of callers at the door. It was 08456 0111 102.

 

 

 

314

c

Speed Watch

 

The Chairman reported on meeting for members of Allhallows, Frindsbury Extra, High Halstow, Isle of Grain and Stoke Parish Councils and their volunteers. There had been a presentation from a West Kent police officer. It was agreed the Clerk should contact the other councils involved in the New Year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

315

d

PCSO Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow PCSO Brooks to speak about his role in the parish.

 

PCSO Brooks covered the parish and had help from his colleagues at Hoo and Cliffe. He was intending to hold weekly surgeries in the hall. These would be promoted on the website and noticeboards. It was suggested the Hall Committee could be approached for him to use the hall as a base while in the parish.

 

The Chairman thanked PCSOs Brooks and Wilkins and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

 

316

a

Representative's Report

 

No meeting.

 

 

 

 

317

318

 

319

 

 

b

Projects

 

Seats, Lower Upnor. Awaiting delivery and installation.

ii  Wainscott Village sign. Cllr Mrs Etheridge and the Clerk had met to progress this.

iii  Cooling Road/Brompton Farm Road corner. The Clerk had spoken to Brendan Doyle of Medway Council. A meeting had been arranged but had been postponed as Mr Doyle wanted to involve Highways.

 

 

16

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

302

a

Representatives' Report

 

Cllr Moore had attended the KAPC AGM on 10 November, but in his absence there was no report.

 

 

17

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

303

a

Representative's Report

 

No meeting.

 

304

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

Cllr Mrs Hoskin reported the problem with the chairs had not been resolved. Lead had been stolen from the roof.

 

 

19

 

305

 

WEBSITE

 

Cllr Etheridge said he had contacted the library for a list of youth groups and discovered they were on the Medway Council website. There was already a link to this from the Parish Council's website. Cllr Miller said there were links to and from the British Legion website.

 

 

20

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

306

a

Draft Social Regeneration Strategy for Medway 2008 – 2016

 

Noted.

 

 

21

 

307

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

 

 

22

 

308

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.50 pm  


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 20 December 2007

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2007 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council