FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to:- Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON TUESDAY 18 DECEMBER 2007
AT THE ARETHUSA VENTURE CENTRE, LOWER UPNOR
AT
7.30 pm

 

C/12/2007/1-22

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Trevor Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Valerie Archer

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Paul Ribbons

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr David Levy

Footpaths Officer

Items 1 - 8

 

PCSO Sean Brooks

 

Items 1-14, 16d

 

PCSO John Hucks

 

Items 1 - 4

 

Item

Minute number 2007/8

 

Action point

 

1

 

309

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

indisposed

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

indisposed

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

indisposed

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

At a business meeting

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

Attending another meeting

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Archer and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

2

 

CODE OF CONDUCT

 

 

310

a

Declarations of Interest and Alterations to the Register

 

None.

 

 

311

b

Standards Committee

 

No meeting had been held.

 

 

3

 

312

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

4

 

313

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 22 NOVEMBER 2007

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Mrs Archer and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 22 November 2007 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

314

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

No matters were raised.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

315

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to enable Mr Levy to speak.

 

Mr Levy apologised for his recent absences, this was due to the indisposition of his wife and he thanked the Council for the flowers and good wishes. He said that Wendy Williams had been a great help during the year and had done more than her fair share. He reported that an anti-cycle barrier had been installed on FP118 at the B2000 end. The stiles on the B2000 had now been repaired. The path had been cleared at Islingham Farm pond.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Levy and reconvened the meeting. He proposed a vote of thanks to Mr Levy and Mrs Williams. This was seconded by Cllr Mrs Etheridge and endorsed by the other members present.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

316

a

Upnor Residents Association

 

The minutes of the last meeting had not yet been received.

 

 

317

b

Lower Upnor Riverside Project

 

The planning consultant was applying for a screening opinion under the Town & Country Planning (EIA) Regulations 1999.

 

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

318

i

MC2007/2078: RSME, Upchat Road, Upnor: Demolition of two existing buildings and construction of a detached boat storage and maintenance building  

 

 No objection

 

 

319

ii

MC2007/2118: 6 Chatsworth Drive, Frindsbury Extra: Conversion of existing garage and single storey rear extension into granny annexe

 

No objection

 

 

320

iii

MC2007/2163: Wainscott Training Estate, Islingham Farm Road, Wainscott: Construction of two hardstanding areas and extension of two existing hardstanding areas for training and vehicle parking purposes, together with the erection of two storage buildings, ancillary outbuildings and hopper structures, earth bunds and security fencing and dog kennel building; and creation of dog training exercise area, including part change of use from agricultural land. Relocation of training facilities from Lodge Hill Camp comprising 3 new single storey buildings, new private access road and hardstanding areas for plant

 

After discussion and advice from the Footpaths Officer, it was agreed to respond as follows:

 

 

 

Frindsbury Extra Parish Council has no objection in principle to this application. However there is a concern about the public footpath, FP118, that crosses the site and the Parish Council requests a condition that access to this footpath is maintained at all times.

 

The Parish Council's Footpaths Officer has been told by the tenant farmer that there is an intention to upgrade the existing farm track to a road and the Parish Council queries why this is necessary when access to the site could be made by the existing highway. There is concern that a road might encourage further building, especially if in the future the MoD were no longer to require the site and it was purchased by a developer.

 

 

321

iv

MC2007/1690: 2 Admiralty Terrace, Upnor: Part 2 storey, part single storey rear extension (revised drawings)

 

No objection

 

 

322

v

MC2007/0821: Land at Hoo Road, Wainscott: Crest Nicholson development Phase I (revised drawings)

 

After discussion it was agreed to comment as follows:

 

Frindsbury Extra Parish Council objected to the previous application on this site, ref MC2007/0821, as follows:

 

"The application for reserved matters relates to 87 dwellings but in making its comments the Parish Council has to view these in relation to the entire development site.

 

The Parish Council has received a letter from the developer, Crest Nicholson, stating that the proposed number of dwellings on the entire site has been reduced by 75, from 450 to 375. The Parish Council had a meeting with Crest Nicholson in December 2006 and it is members' recollection that the developer's agent stated that they wished to build 420 houses. A reduction of 75 would bring the total down to 345; alternatively if they still aim to build 375 dwellings, it is only a reduction of 45. The Planning Inspector at the public inquiry for the Local Plan stated there should be 280 dwellings. Although at the time the Parish Council opposed any development on the site, it accepts the decision by the Inspector to include it for development in the Local Plan. The Parish Council would argue that in deciding on a specific number of dwellings this should be adhered to and should not be considered as merely a "guideline" as was claimed by the developer's agent at the meeting.

 

The Parish Council would like to see Phase 1 comprising more than 100 properties.

 

On the layout for the 87 dwellings as applied for under reserved matters, the Parish Council is very concerned over the lack of any off street parking for visitors. On-street parking in narrow estate roads is a particular problem in all the developments in the parish that have been built over the last ten years. This is exacerbated when garages are subsequently turned into habitable rooms. Some unallocated communal off road parking spaces for visitors would be welcomed and would help to minimise the future loss of amenity to residents of the estate.

 

The Parish Council remains very concerned over the position of the access roads from both parts of the overall site into Hoo Road and repeats its view that a form of crossroads with a mini roundabout would help traffic flow, combined with peak time traffic control on Four Elms roundabout. The traffic problems here are bad enough currently, without the addition of traffic from a potential 375 further dwellings, traffic associated with Wainscott Primary School using a different access point and traffic for an enhanced medical centre, re-sited from its current position in Miller Way."

 

 

 

The Parish Council does not feel that the revised drawings address these concerns in any significant way. At a meeting with the developer, his agent and planning officers from Medway Council, the agent spoke of 420 houses. The Masterplan now says the numbers have been reduced from 450 to 375, following consultation. To inflate the percentage decrease by upping the number from 420 to 450 before reducing to 375 is somewhat misleading.

 

The Wainscott Development Brief indicated a Village Square should be part of the development. We understand that such a development brief is part of planning guidance for an area and question the developer's omission in this respect. The Masterplan also states that "consultation has revealed the link to local school, as defined in the Outline Planning Consent, would actually be less convenient and safe than the existing arrangement. We are currently in discussion with the School, Planning Dept. and Education Dept. to explore alternatives, and hope to be able to agree an improved arrangement." "Less convenient" for whom? Crest Nicholson? The Parish Council reserves its right to comment on any revised proposal in this respect. The existing arrangement from Wainscott Road is inadequate and dangerous and the potential increase in size of the school from one-form to two-form entry will double the amount of traffic. The Wainscott development gives the opportunity for a solution to the existing problem, which could also possibly help solve the parking problem for residents of Wainscott Road.

 

Re Phase I, the number of dwellings has been reduced by one. We have done an analysis of the proposed dwellings, the number of bedrooms and parking provision:

 

Block A 

26 properties - 70 bedrooms - 30 parking spaces - 10 visitor parking spaces

 

Block B

30                  85                   37                           9

 

Block  C

30                  89                   46                           8

 

Totals:

 

86               244                    113                        27

 

The totals average 1.31 parking spaces per property and less than 1/3rd space per property for visitors! 5 x 4 beds have only 1 parking space, and 27 x 3 beds have only 1 parking space. The Parish Council considers this wholly inadequate for both residents and visitors. We have to consider the likely future parking problems for residents. The area is poorly served by public transport and car ownership is inevitable. On road parking is a problem on all estate developments built in the parish, whether in the last 10 years or 40 years ago. Many garages where originally built are used for storage, or are too small for many modern cars, or have been converted to living accommodation, increasing the pressure on on-street parking. There is already overspill parking in Hoo Road.

 

The Masterplan suggests that the Medical Centre might be better positioned closer to Wainscott Road. The Parish Council supports this.

  

 

323

vi

MC2007/2207; Manor Farm Barn, Frindsbury: Town & Country Planning (EIA) Regulations 1999 for a scoping opinion for the repair of Manor Farm Barn and associated buildings for use as an educational centre; the creation of an ecological reserve in the former chalk quarry; enhanced community facilities and residential development

 

After discussion it was agreed to respond as follows:

 

This is a conservation area and Frindsbury Extra Parish Council considers that an Environmental Impact Assessment is an essential document in the development of this site.

 

 

324

b

Decisions

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were noted.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

325

i

Manor Farm

 

Nothing further to add to minute 323.

 

 

326

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

327

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

328

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheque signed since the last meeting as listed on Appendix B was ratified.

 

 

329

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Ribbons and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 101096 – 101100) as listed in Appendix B be approved, together with £3327.60 to Park Leisure (cheque 101101), and £875 to D Godden (101102).

 

 

330

d

Budget 2008/9

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Ribbons and agreed unanimously that the budget 2008/9 be adopted.

 

 

331

e

Precept 2008/9

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Mrs Etheridge and agreed that the precept be £20,900, an increase of 5% on 2007/8.

 

 

332

f

Subscriptions

 

i)   CPRE. It was agreed to renew the subscription to CPRE, £27 (cheque
101103
).

 

 

333

g

Chairman’s Allowance

 

The Chairman proposed thanking the Footpath Officer and his assistant by giving them a W H Smith voucher each and suggested £20. This was seconded by Cllr Etheridge and carried unanimously. The Chairman would organise and submit the receipt for reimbursement in due course.

 

 

 

 

 

DC

10

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

 

334

a

Victim Support

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Miller and agreed that a grant of £100 be made under S137 of the LGA 1972 (cheque 101104).

 

 

11

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL’S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

335

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

The Chairman reported that an elderly lady had slipped on the slope between the two sections of the recreation ground. He and the Clerk had made an inspection and Green Acre Landscapes had been asked to install a hand rail as a matter of urgency.

 

 

336

b

Allotments

 

The Clerk reported that two allotment holders who had two plots each were giving up at the end of the year. She had let all four plots and had written to ask the former plotholders to remove everything they wanted before 1 January 2008.

 

 

12

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

337

a

Vehicle Activated Speed Signs

 

The Chairman reported that Keith Hanshaw was investigating adjustment of the sign in Brompton Farm Road.

 

 

338

b

Yellow Lines, Lower Upnor

 

There had been no feedback from the Upnor Residents’ Association about their Chairman’s meeting with Medway Council.

 

 

13

 

339

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

14

 

340

 

YOUTH

 

Cllr Etheridge wondered if the idea of replacing the burnt-out youth shelter with the container idea was still viable. It was agreed to defer this to a later meeting.

 

 

As PCSO Sean Brooks had to leave, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda and the Chairman suspended the meeting to allow him to speak.

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

341

d

PCSO Report

 

PCSO Brooks said he considered the area was improving. He would be starting a surgery on alternate Wednesdays from 10 am to 12 noon, in the Memorial Hall. It would begin on 2 January for a trial run.

 

The Chairman thanked PCSO Brooks and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

342

a

Representative’s Report

 

The Chairman reported on the last meeting. There had been a presentation by Groundwork and a report on youth in different parishes. There was a potential problem in Wainscott, there was now only one volunteer and the funding was likely to end at the end of the financial year so the Youth Club would probably close.

 

 

 

 

343

344

345

 

 

b

Projects

 

i)   Seats, Lower Upnor. Installed
ii) 
Wainscott Village sign. Cllr Mrs Etheridge and the Clerk were progressing this.
iii)  Cooling Road/Brompton Farm Road corner. The Chairman reported on a meeting with Brendan Doyle and Matthew Buck of Highways.

 

 

16

 

KAPC/MAC 

 

 

346

a

Representatives’ Report

 

In Cllr Moore’s absence, the Clerk reported on the last meeting. The speaker had been Clive Powell of KAPC on the parish council of the future. It had also been attended by the Chairman of Hoo St Werburgh Parish Council by special invitation.

 

 

17

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

347

a

Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Archer said there was a conflict of interest between the users of the Committee room and the Guides.

 

 

348

b

Hall Improvements Extension

 

Cllr Archer reported the Secretary was waiting for quotations for built in storage.

 

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

349

a

Police Liaison Committee Representative’s Report

 

Cllr Miller reported that Chief Inspector Wedlake had moved to Headquarters and had been replaced by Chief Inspector Ian McKenzie. The Chairman said he had spoken to Inspector Wharfe at the last Rural Liaison meeting and the Police Liaison meetings would start in February.

 

 

350

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller reported that there had been a number of thefts from sheds and of bank cards at cash machines in Medway. There had also been the theft of a car in Lower Upnor. He reminded members that people should not have goods on display in cars. He had been alerted to scams involving bogus callers and telephone calls about usage of credit cards, where people were duped into giving their card details.

 

 

351

c

Speed Watch

 

This would be progressed further in the New Year.

 

 

 

 

 

19

 

352

 

WEBSITE

 

Nothing to report

 

 

20

 

353

 

CONSULTATION

 

No documents received

 

 

21

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

354

a

Charlton Athletic Community Scheme

 

It was agreed to invite the Kent Social Inclusion Manager of the scheme to a future meeting.

 

 

22

 

355

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.10 pm

 

   


Return to: Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 31 January 2008

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates

Copyright © 2005 - 2008 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council