FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

C/09/2006/1-22

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 28 SEPTEMBER 2006

AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

From item 7

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr Clive Stanley

Webmaster

Items 1-6

 

2 members of the public

 

 

 

Item

Minute number

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

154

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Ken Bamber

On holiday

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

On holiday

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Etheridge and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

An apology for late arrival was received from Cllr Hicks.

 

 

 

2

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

 

 

 

155

a

Declarations

 

Cllr Miller declared a personal interest in item 11a, Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal grant application, as a member of the Royal British Legion.

 

 

 

156

b

Standards Committee

 

The Chairman said the next meeting would be held in November.

 

 

 

3

 

157

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

 

4

 

158

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 27 JULY 2006

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Moore and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 27 July 2006 be signed as a true record.

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

159

a

C/07/06/5a(113): War Dead

 

Cllr Miller had produced a notice to go in the hall and gave a list to the webmaster for the website. The Chairman thanked Cllr Miller for his work in respect of this matter.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

160

a

Representative's Report

 

In Mr Levy's absence, there was no report. The Clerk informed the meeting that Vivienne Kent was retiring in November.

 

(Subsequent to the meeting, Mr Levy apologised for not having attended and his report is annexed to these minutes).

 

 

161

b

Hilltop School Footpath Closure

 

Cllr Bird wished to raise the matter of the footpath that ran across the Hilltop School grounds, but as a governor of the school declared a personal interest before speaking. He explained the difficulties being experienced in the procedures for closure of the footpath and proposed the Council write again in continued support of the school for the closure of the footpath, for the safety and security of the pupils. This was seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and carried unanimously.

 

As Mr Stanley was present, it was agreed to vary the order of the agenda.

 

19

 

162

 

 

WEBSITE

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to enable Mr Stanley to speak.

 

Mr Stanley said the site had had 11,529 hits over the last 12 months, with 1,046 in August and 1,036 for September to date. He had added details of the “Villager” community bus and Smuggler's Day at Upnor Castle. He asked that the Footpaths Officer be approached to write a different walk. He described a free search facility and said other parishes had found it useful.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Stanley and reconvened the meeting.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

163

a

Upnor Society

 

The last meeting had been cancelled. Cllr Hicks would attend the next one, to be held on 3 October. The Society had offered to remove the hebe. This was agreed. It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed that when this had been done, the area would be turfed.

 

164

b

Report on meeting called by the Arethusa Centre

 

The meeting called by the Arethusa Centre as a follow up to the car park discussions had been postponed.

 

 

165

c

Environmental Enhancement Project

 

The Clerk had not had a response from Emma Powell and would contact her again.

 

 

RB

8

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

166

a

Additional Play Equipment

 

Paul Schmoeger had sent his apologies again for not attending. Cllr Mrs Etheridge said that the Council had waited long enough for him to attend a meeting and proposed the money be used to provide a kick wall by extending the existing basketball framework. This was seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed. The Chairman said that if this was less than the amount of money available, the Council should consider spending on the toddlers. Cllr Etheridge suggested a PIR solar powered lighting system be incorporated into the kick wall. The Chairman and the Clerk would contact Paul Schmoeger regarding the Section 106 monies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB

 

 

167

 

 

 

 

168

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

169

 

 

 

b

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i   General Maintenance. Green Acre Landscapes had quoted £110 to cut back the hedge near the hall and replant at the front. This was accepted. Cllr Mrs Coomber said that residents were very pleased with the work being done and asked that this be passed on to the contractor.
ii  Football. There had been problems again with the parking and the Clerk was asked to write to both clubs. They would also be asked to prevent mud being left on the hall car park if possible and to sweep the area after them. The Clerk referred to a complaint about the safety of the permanent shoulders on the junior goals and was in discussion with Rochester Rangers about them. There had been complaints about young men playing on the full size pitch in the late mornings and the harassment of residents of Hollywood Lane, including breaking the fences and intrusion into gardens. It was believed they were employees of Macdonald's and the Clerk would write to both local branches.
iii Frittenden Road hedge. Many of the posts of the protective fence were rotten and Green Acre Landscapes had quoted £220 to replace them. This was agreed. They would also be asked to quote to fill the gaps in the hedge.

 

 

 

 

 

RB

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB

 

170

c

Cooling Road Corner

 

Now this was being weeded on a regular basis it was apparent the area needed replanting. Green Acre Landscapes would be asked to design and quote for a planting scheme. Cllr Mrs Coomber said the small landscaped area at the junction of Frittenden Road, Wainscott Road and Gill Avenue needed attention and it was agreed Green Acre Landscapes be asked to quote for this area as well.

 

 

9

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

171

i

MC2006/1704: 7 Hollywood Lane, Wainscott: Construction of a part single, part 2 storey extension

 

No objection.

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

 

172

 

None notified.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

173

i

Partial Review of SE Plan – Provision for Traveller & Gypsy Sites

 

The Clerk was delegated to respond with the help of Cllr Etheridge.

 

 

174

ii

MC2006/1586: 2-8 Cooling Road: demolition of garage/workshop and construction of block of flats

 

It was noted this application had been withdrawn.

 

 

175

iii

Medway Housing & Mixed Use Development Plan and Medway Core Strategy Development

 

The Chairman had read this document and recommended the only matter that should be commented on was the REME sites at Upnor. After discussion it was agreed the council object to the inclusion of these sites on the grounds of site constraints and the need for a sea wall for the development to take place.

 

 

176

iv

Wainscott Development Sites

 

The Chairman had spoken to Brian McCutcheon. There would be 280 properties. The three landowners were in negotiations with a well-known national housebuilder. Some S106 funds would be made available for community projects, such as the hall. The likely release of this money was not yet known, but the agreement was about to be signed. The S106 money from existing developments had been made available some time after they had been completed.

 

 

 

 

177

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

10

 

FINANCE

 

 

178

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

179

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheques drawn since the last meeting as listed on Appendix B were ratified.

 

180

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Mrs Bird and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 100985 - 100991) as listed in Appendix B be approved, together with a cheque for £510 to D Godden (Green Acre Landscapes).

 

181

d

Training & Seminars

i   KAPC Finance Day. No one wished to attend.

 

11

 

 

GRANT APPLICATIONS

 

 

182

a

Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Bird and agreed a grant of £100 be made under S137 of the LGA 1972.

 

 

183

b

Fitness Equipment for Patients

 

Cllr Mrs Etheridge said that no equipment was available for patients to help strengthen their limbs. She would ask the organiser to apply for a grant to help.

 

 

12

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

184

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

 

The Chairman reported he was still waiting for news.

 

 

185

b

Medway Local Transport Plan 2001-2006 Delivery Report

 

Available to view at www.medway.gov.uk/transplanning . Noted.

 

 

186

c

Upnor Road

 

The letter from Roger Bishop was discussed. The problem with the hammerheads at Admiral's Place should be dealt with by the Upnor Society as a local problem. After an in-depth discussion about the safety of Upnor Road both at present and after the development of the REME sites, it was proposed by Cllr Bird that a letter be written to Medway Council, drawing their attention to Mr Bishop's letter and expressing concern about increased traffic due to recent and future developments, danger to pedestrians, and asking if any S106 funding from the Taylor Woodrow development was available. This was seconded by the Chairman and carried unanimously.

 

 

13

 

187

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

14

 

188

 

YOUTH

 

Cllr Hicks reported that Jenni Davis was off work again through sickness. There was no date predicted for her return. It was probable the Youth Club would have to be started again in a couple of weeks. Cllr Mrs Coomber said she had been contacted by someone who would be taking on the running of the Youth Club.

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

 

189

a

Representative's Report

 

The Chairman reported on the last meeting. Geoff Waters and Eve Johnson and Alison Davies from Kent Youth had given a presentation. Inspector Robin Wharfe had spoken about policing. He had conceded that John Hucks had been spending a lot of time in Hoo because of specific problems there. 3 more PCSOs should be in place for the Peninsula in 2007 and another in 2008, giving a total of 5 for the Peninsula and Strood Rural wards. Inspector Wharfe had agreed to investigate their funding. Andy McGrath had spoken about rural fly tipping, and of the amalgamation of the Community Safety officers and the wardens to provide one dedicated officer for each ward. Catherine Smith had given an update on he Walking Festival. The provision of name/ID badges for parish councillors had been discussed and had been deferred until after the 2007 elections.

 

 

 

 

 

190

 

 

191

 

 

192

 

 

193

 

 

 

194

 

b

Projects

i   “Welcome to the parish” signs. The Chairman said Ron Shaw had not yet been able to speak to Keith Hanshaw
ii   Spring bulbs. Cllr Mrs Etheridge was arranging this and the bulbs were being supplied through Medway Council.
iii 3 seats at Lower Upnor. The Clerk was waiting from feedback from Emma Powell before proceeding with these.
iv   Wainscott Village sign. Cllr Mrs Etheridge suggested a village sign for Wainscott similar to the Upnor village sign. Possible locations were discussed but no conclusions were drawn. The item to remain on the agenda.
v   Other projects. No other ideas were put forward.

 

16

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

195

a

Representatives' Report

 

Cllr Moore reported that neither he nor Cllr Etheridge had been able to attend the last meeting.

 

 

17

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

196

a

Representative's Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber had nothing specific to report.

 

 

197

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The refurbishment was nearly finished. CCTV was due to be installed. A new carpet was needed for the meeting room and it was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed this should be paid for by the Parish Council as they used the room. The cost would be £555. The Chairman reported on the problem with the drains. He had hoped Medway Council would do the work and then invoice the hall and MHS Homes but they did not think it was bad enough to repair. Cllr Mrs Etheridge said this should be taken up by the ward members. A vote of thanks was proposed to the Hall Secretary for having project managed the refurbishment.

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

198

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

 

Cllr Miller reported on the meeting held on 8 August. It had been attended by the two beat officers and PCSOs Hucks and Harewood. In future there would be a structured agenda which would be sent out in advance. Cllr Miller reported on the crime statistics and the youth problems in Hoo and Cliffe. Average speed cameras would be installed on the A228 between Fenn Corner and the Isle of Grain. Police officers were patrolling Medway's borders and stopping cars, 2 criminals were caught each day and travellers were being deterred. New powers were in force to deal with illegal motorbikes. The PCSOs would be based in local fire stations. A mobile police station would visit Wainscott and Upnor every 3 weeks on a Friday. The next meeting was on 14 November.

 

 

199

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller had attended the AGM on 12 September. A talk had been given by scenes of crime officers. He reported on vehicle crime in Wainscott and Upnor and a burglary in Castle Street. A shed had been broken into into and the offender apprehended.

 

 

200

c

Speed Watch

 

Nothing more had been heard from Hoo St Werburgh PC. The Clerk would speak to the Clerk to Cliffe and Cliffe Woods PC.

 

 

20

 

201

 

CONSULTATION

 

No documents received.

 

 

21

 

202

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

 

22

 

203

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to enable the members of the public to speak.

 

Mr Dean spoke about the problems with youths on the Recreation Ground. His mother-in-law who was in her mid-eighties and her neighbours should not have to put up with the verbal abuse and criminal damage they were experiencing. He felt it had become worse since the permanent goal posts had been installed and asked if they could be converted to removable posts. The Chairman said this would be placed on the agenda for the next meeting as by law no decision could be made during the public session.

 

The Chairman reconvened the meeting, thanked the members of the public for their attendance and closed the meeting at 10.25 pm

 


Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 27 October 2006

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © 2005 - 2006 Frindsbury Extra Parish Council