FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

C/05/2006/1-32

 

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 11 MAY 2006

AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Ken Bamber

 

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr David Levy

Footpaths Officer

Items 1-13

 

Item

Minute number

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

2006/7/

1

 

ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

 

Cllr Coomber was nominated by Cllr Bamber and seconded by Cllr Hicks. There being no other nominations, Cllr Coomber was duly elected Chairman

 

 

 

2

 

2

 

CHAIRMAN'S DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE

 

Cllr Coomber signed his declaration of acceptance of office.

 

 

 

3

 

3

 

ELECTION OF VICE-CHAIRMAN

 

Cllr Bird was nominated by Cllr Mrs Coomber and seconded by Cllr Hicks. There being no other nominations, Cllr Bird was duly elected Vice-chairman.

 

 

 

4

 

4

 

VICE-CHAIRMAN'S DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE

 

Cllr Bird signed his declaration of acceptance of office.

 

 

 

5

 

5

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

attending another meeting

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

attending a meeting for Medway Council

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

indisposed

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Bamber, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

An apology without reason had been received from Cllr Tom Mason and was not accepted by the Council.

 

 

 

6

 

 

6

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

 

Cllr Miller declared a personal interest in item 15d(i), licensing application for the Sans Pareil as he was acquainted with the applicant.

 

 

7

 

APPOINTMENT OF COMMITTEES

 

 

7

a

Planning Committee

 

Members of the Planning Committee were confirmed as

The Chairman and Vice-chairman, ex officio; Cllrs Mrs Bird, Mrs Coomber, Etheridge, Miller and Moore.

 

 

8

b

Finance Committee

 

Members of the Finance Committee were confirmed as

The Chairman and Vice-chairman, ex officio; Cllrs Bamber, Mrs Etheridge, Hicks, Hoskin and Mason.

 

 

8

 

APPOINTMENT OF REPRESENTATIVES TO OUTSIDE BODIES

 

 

9

a

Rural Liaison Committee

 

Cllr Coomber.

 

 

10

b

KAPC Medway Area Committee

 

Cllr Moore and Cllr Etheridge.

 

 

11

c

Police Liaison Committee

 

Cllr Miller.

 

 

12

d

Memorial Hall Management Committee

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber.

 

 

13

e

Governor, Wainscott School

 

Mrs Revell had resigned. It was for the school to ask the Council to nominate a replacement if they so wished.

 

9

 

APPOINTMENT TO OTHER POSTS

 

 

14

a

Footpaths Officer

 

Mr David Levy.

 

 

15

b

Tree Wardens

 

Mrs Marilyn Campbell, Mrs Lindsay Hargreaves and Mrs Karen Seymour.

 

 

10

 

16

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

11

 

17

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 23 MARCH 2006

 

It was proposed by Cllr Hicks, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 23 March 2006 be signed as a true record.

 

 

12

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

18

a

C/03/06/5a(472): War Dead

 

Cllr Miller said there had been no progress.

 

 

13

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

19

a

Representative's Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Mr Levy to give his report.

 

Mr Levy said the gloves supplied had all been sent in medium and he had passed his on to Mrs Williams. The dog bins had been put up, but one was in Hollywood Lane, not on the B2000. He had started strimming, both sides of the by-pass were now nearly clear. He had attacked the nettles first. He was waiting for the return of the old strimmer head.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Levy for his report and reconvened the meeting.

 

The Clerk would take up the matter of the siting of the dog bins with Medway Council.

 

 

14

 

UPNOR

 

 

20

a

Upnor Society Report

 

The copies of minutes of the Society that had been circulated with the agenda were noted. In the absence of a representative of the Upnor Society, there was no further report.

 

21

b

Environmental Enhancement Project

 

The Clerk had received a letter from Groundwork Medway Swale concerned about progress. Cllr Hicks promised to make his visit to the Land Registry by the end of the month. The Clerk would inform Emma Powell.

 

15

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

22

i

MC2006/0616: 52 Higham Road, Wainscott: Construction of single storey extensions to front and rear

 

No objection.

 

23

ii

MC2006/0747: Plot 1 and access road, Arnolde Close, Medway City Estate: Proposed industrial/warehouse unit with ancillary offices, parking and servicing area and new access road

 

No objection

 

 

24

iii

MC2006/0801: Plot 4 Arnolde Close, Medway City Estate: Use of land for open storage, lorry and car parking in conjunction with neighbouring warehouse and new access road

 

No objection

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

 

25

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were received.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

26

i

MC2003/1301: Land between Vanguard Way (A289) and George Summers Close, Medway City Estate

 

The Council would not be represented at the public inquiry.

 

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

 

27

i

Sans Pareil

 

The proposed hours were discussed. There appeared to be a discrepancy with the Sunday trading hours. It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and agreed to object on the grounds that the closing hours were too late for a residential area and to suggest that these be 00.30 from Sunday to Thursday and 01.00 on Friday and Saturday.

 

 

16

 

FINANCE

 

 

28

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

29

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheques drawn since the last meeting as listed on Appendix B were ratified.

 

 

30

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Bird and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 100954 - 100955) as listed in Appendix B be approved.

 

 

31

d

Internal Audit

 

The internal auditor's report was tabled. He was satisfied with all procedures and had made no additional comments. As he refused an honorarium it was agreed after discussion that a DVD on wildlife be purchased for him as an appreciation. Cllr

 

 

 

Etheridge volunteered to source something suitable.

 

 

32

e

Accounts 2005/6

 

It was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed the accounts for the year to 31 March 2006 be adopted by the Council and signed by the Chairman and Responsible Financial Officer.

 

 

33

f

Audit Commission Annual Return

 

It was proposed by Cllr Hicks, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and agreed the Annual Return be signed by the Chairman and Clerk.

 

 

34

g

Chairman's Allowance

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Coomber, seconded by Cllr Etheridge and agreed the Chairman's allowance be £250. This was not a personal allowance but would only be spent against receipts for expenditure connected with the office of Chairman in representing the Council. As provision had not been made in the budget the sum would come from unallocated reserves.

 

 

17

 

 

GRANTS

 

 

35

a

Medway Valley Community Rail Partnership

 

Cllr Etheridge said this partnership was celebrating the 150 th anniversary of the Medway Valley line. They were seeking sponsorship and grants for the celebrations. It was suggested an event could take place in the parish. After discussion it was agreed to defer any decision while more information and possible costs were obtained.

 

 

18

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

36

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

 

The Chairman had sent an e-mail to Keith Hanshaw, with a copy to Cllr Filmer, commenting on the S106 money from the construction of the by-pass. Cllr Bamber suggested Andy McGrath should be made aware of the situation. Cllr Miller suggested asking for speed checks.

 

 

37

b

Cooling Road Corner

 

No progress.

 

 

38

c

Medway Local Transport Plan

 

The letter from Mark Johnson was noted.

 

 

39

d

Arethusa Centre

 

Lesley Wright had sent the Chairman a copy of her letter to Ron Shaw, asking for a pedestrian crossing near the entrance to the Centre. The Clerk was asked to write a letter to Medway Council in support.

 

19

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

40

a

Additional Play Equipment

 

In the absence of Paul Schmoeger, there was no discussion.

 

 

41

b

Change of Contractor and Maintenance Schedule

 

The Chairman had met Daniel Godden of Green Acre Landscapes who would take over from A R Dingwall (Landscapes). He was able to undertake landscaping and maintenance tasks. The Clerk had shown him round. She had taken the opportunity of preparing a new draft maintenance schedule, which was discussed. It was suggested that under the risk assessment section, a sentence was added that urgent repairs should be done immediately, after consultation with the Clerk. With this amendment it was proposed by Cllr Etheridge, seconded by Cllr Bird and agreed the new schedule be adopted.

 

 

 

 

42

 

 

c

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i  General Maintenance. The quotation from Green Acre to exchange the closed gate for a fence panel at the other end of the play park was agreed. Cllr Miller raised the matter of pedestrian access from Miller Way. This was now more difficult after the surgery had installed new gates to their car park. It was agreed Dr Green be approached about this and about keys for the new gate.

 

 

 

 

43

d

Woodland and Green, Lower Upnor

 

Walnut. The crown reduction would be done on 23 May. Keven Watt would be asked to stay on council land at all times and to leave the prunings on site. The Clerk would write to Mr Stephens of Albion Place, so that local residents would be informed in advance.

 

20

 

44

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

21

 

YOUTH 

 

45

a

Vandalism and other Problems

The Clerk had arranged a meeting for 17 May, to which all interested parties had been invited. It was hoped to find a way forward to control the vandalism and anti-social behaviour. It was reported the guttering on the hall had been torn down and the Hall Management Committee were investigating revolving spikes.

 

 

46

b

Youth Shelter Light. Jenni Davis had been asked to pursue this on behalf of the Council.

 

 

22

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

47

a

Representative's Report

 

The next meeting was on 16 May, hosted by Allhallows PC.

 

 

 

48

 

49

 

 

 

 

 

50

 

 

b

Projects

 

“Welcome to the parish” signs. The Chairman had not heard anything further and would pursue the matter.

ii  Spring bulbs. Cllr Etheridge said there had been rather too many bulbs last time for the volunteers to plant. The Upnor Society had volunteered to help in future. The Youth Offenders Team would appreciate more notice so they could schedule it in. It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed bulbs to the value of £150 be ordered, plus delivery charge.

iii Other projects. The Chairman stated that the amount available at present, including the new allocation and amounts rolled over, was about £13,000. He would like this spent by March 2007, as neither a continuation of the grant after that date nor an automatic rollover were guaranteed. Suggestions made were: a CCTV system for the hall; a kissing gate for the entrance at Miller Way; equipment for youth groups.

 

23

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

51

a

Representative's report

 

The next meeting was on 17 May.

 

 

24

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

52

a

Representative's Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported the next meeting was on 16 May. There had been a drain blockage, due to tree roots. It was uncertain who owned the tree in question.

 

 

53

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The Chairman reported a quotation for the floor had been obtained. The S 106 money had not been received yet and he would speak to Catherine Smith.

 

 

25

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

54

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

 

Cllr Miller reported a meeting had been held on 9 May. It had been attended by Simon Harwood, Ami Biringh, John Hucks, Tim Harris, Caroline Pope and John Haddaway. Cuxton and Halling would now be included in the area and there would be 3 inspectors, one for each area. A comprehensive document would be produced for each meeting and Cllr Miller tabled a copy. The mobile police station was working well. There had been trouble on the buses and there had been police presence. A CCTV scheme in Hoo would soon be in operation. The next meeting was on 8 August.

 

 

55

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller reported that garages had been broken into in Hollywood Lane and Albion Place. There was also a new scam consisting of bogus letters from “lottery” groups.

 

7

56

c

Speed Watch

 

There was still no response from Hoo St Werburgh PC. Cllr Bamber said he would speak to a member of Hoo St Werburgh and ask if the subject had been raised.

 

 

26

 

57

 

WEB SITE

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

27

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

58

a

Local Authority Bye Laws Discussion Paper

 

No one was able to consider the document.

 

 

28

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

59

a

Medway Walking Festival

 

Received.

 

 

29

 

60

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

30

 

61

 

RESOLUTION TO EXCLUDE THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

 

It was proposed by the Chairman, seconded by Cllr Bamber and agreed the press and public should be excluded from the following items on the grounds that the first item concerned a named member of staff and the second item was a legal matter.

 

 

31

 

62

 

CLERK'S PAY

 

The Clerk withdrew for this item.

 

It was agreed the Clerk's hourly rate be increased to £11.50 with immediate effect and that the mileage allowance would remain at 40p per mile.

 

 

32

 

63

 

RETAINING WALL, MARGETT'S PLACE

 

The letter from the Council's solicitor was discussed. He would be instructed that until he received a response from the residents, no further action would be taken.

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.15 pm

 


Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 23 June 2006

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005- 2006