FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

C/06/2006/1-22

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON

THURSDAY 22 JUNE 2006 AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

Items 14b-15, 7b, 16-22, 3a

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

 

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr & Mrs Adrian Dixon

Upnor Society

Items 1-7a

 

Item

Minute number

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

64

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Ken Bamber

On holiday

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

At work

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

On holiday

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mason and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

An apology for late arrival was received from Cllr Hicks.

 

 

 

2

 

65

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

 

None.

 

 

 

3

 

66

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

Cllr Miller said he wished to speak about Veterans' Day.

 

 

 

4

 

67

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 11 MAY 2006

 

It was proposed by Cllr Bird, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 11 May 2006 be signed as a true record.

 

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

 

68

a

C/05/06/12a(18): War Dead

 

Cllr Miller had tried to contact Tessa Towner, who had put a request for information in the church magazine. He had contacted the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and had been given 9 names for Wainscott.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

69

a

Representative's Report

 

The Clerk read Mr Levy's report: Footpaths cleared were: both sides of the by-pass, the steps and over the little bridge on the opposite side, Islingham Farm opposite the pond. He had asked Medway Council to help with clearing the headland near Four Elms Hill and had reported a stile at Islingham Farm needed repair.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

70

a

Upnor Society Report

 

The Chairman welcomed Mr and Mrs Dixon and suspended the meeting to enable them to give their report.

 

Mr Dixon said he was now Chairman of the Society. The Committee had met and would like the Council to nominate a representative to sit on the Committee. Issues raised had been: damage to the green at Frog Island, signs at the cross roads, ownership of the remaining stretch of Upchat Road to Tower Hill, lack of grass cutting on the triangle at the cross roads, lack of connection of street lights on the new estate in Lower Upnor, the hebe and broken benches on the green at Lower Upnor, overflowing litter bin by car park/toilets, lack of litter and dog bins on new estate. Mr Dixon reported Ian Lewis's renewed concerns about possible development at Elizabeth Cottage. A cricket match and barbecue would be held on Friday 7 July, starting at 6pm. The Christmas Fair had raised £1,000 for the Kent Air Ambulance.

 

The Chairman thanked Mr Dixon and reconvened the meeting.

 

It was agreed the Clerk take up various matters with Medway Council. After discussion, it was agreed the hebe be removed during the autumn and the area re-turfed. The Clerk would obtain a price from the new contractor. It was thought either Cllr Moore with Cllr Hicks as an alternate or vice versa would be the nominee for the Upnor Society Committee but as neither was present a formal decision would be deferred.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB

71

b

Environmental Enhancement Project

 

Agreed to defer this item until Cllr Hicks arrived.

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

72

i

MC2006/1025: 30 Higham Road, Wainscott: Rear extension and loft conversion

 

No objection.

 

73

ii

MC2006/1071: Plots 5 & 6 Magnus Park, Medway City Estate: Provision of open storage and vehicle car parking and access road

 

No objection

 

 

74

iii

MC2006/1102: land adjacent to 94b Hollywood Lane, Wainscott: Construction of chalet bungalow

 

No objection

 

 

75

iv

MC2006/1086: Cormorant House, Upnor Road, Lower Upnor: Cesspool

 

No objection

 

 

76

v

MC2006/1087: Normandie, Upnor Road, Lower Upnor: Cesspool

 

No objection

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

 

77

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were received.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

78

i

KCC Development Plan – Core Minerals Strategy; General Development Control Poloicies; Construction Aggregates Policy DPD

 

Consultation documents received.

 

 

 

d

Licensing Applications

 

 

79

i

Sans Pareil

 

The Chairman reported that he was to have attended the hearing on 23 June but the application for increased hours had been withdrawn. The hearing would now be concerned just with the internal alterations, including re-siting the female toilets. It was understood they had already started this work and the Clerk was instructed to inform the Licensing Officer first thing the next morning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

RB

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

80

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

81

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheque drawn since the last meeting as listed on Appendix B was ratified.

 

 

82

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Bird, seconded by Cllr Miller and agreed the accounts for payment (cheques 100960 - 100963) as listed in Appendix B be approved, together with a cheque for £563 to D Godden (cheque 100964).

 

83

d

Subscriptions

 

The subscription to Action for Communities in Rural Kent was approved.

 

 

10

 

 

GRANTS

 

 

84

a

All Saints Church, Frindsbury

 

Cllr Mrs Hoskin said that the church was seeking donations towards repairs. After discussion it was proposed by Cllr Miller and seconded by Cllr Mason that £100 be granted. Cllr Mrs Coomber proposed an amendment to £200, which was seconded by Cllr Mrs Hoskin. A vote being taken the motion was defeated, 3 votes for, 4 against, with no abstentions. A vote being taken on the substantive motion it was carried by 4 votes for, 3 against and no abstentions. The grant to be made under Section 137 of the LGA 1972 (cheque 100965).

 

 

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

85

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

 

The Chairman had contacted Cllr Filmer to investigate progress.

 

 

86

b

Stonehorse Lane

 

It was reported the vegetation had been trimmed back.

 

 

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

87

a

Additional Play Equipment

 

In the absence of Paul Schmoeger, there was no discussion.

 

 

 

 

88

 

 

 

89

 

b

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i  General Maintenance. The rear of the hall had been mown and the Hall Committee was pleased with its appearance. The Clerk had asked for the playpark to be mown as she had noticed that it had not been done when the rest of the ground had been mown.
ii  Use of football pitches. The requests from the two football teams were discussed. It was agreed that both teams continue on their current basis.
iii  Memorial tree. The letter from Debby Griffiths was discussed. It was felt a tree was unlikely to survive long. Concern was also expressed about a precedent being set. It was unclear whether Ms Griffiths's friend was aware of the request and it was thought Jenni Davis might be able to help. A decision was deferred until further investigation had been carried out.

 

 

13

 

90

 

LIGHTING

 

Nothing to report.

 

 

14

 

YOUTH

 

 

 

91

a

Youth Shelter

 

The Clerk needed greater detail about the fire before she could contact the insurance company. No decision was made whether to replace the shelter or not.

 

 

 

92

b

Vandalism and other Problems

 

The Chairman reported on the meeting held on 13 May. PC Steve Cook had produced a report on how crime could be reduced and this was passed on to the Hall Secretary.

 

 

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

 

93

a

Representative's Report

 

The Chairman reported on the last meeting. Cllr Hicks had been elected the new Chairman and he had been re-elected Vice-chairman. “The Villager” bus had been demonstrated. The next meeting would be a walk round Ranscombe Farm.

 

 

 

 

 

94

 

95

 

96

b

Projects

 

“Welcome to the parish” signs. The Chairman had spoken to Ron Shaw and the matter was with the communications department.
ii  Spring bulbs. The Clerk would contact Cllr Mrs Etheridge and the YOT team to arrange a suitable delivery date.
iii  Other projects. It was agreed the 3 seats at Lower Upnor be replaced.

 

 

 

 

 

RB

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

97

b

Environmental Enhancement Project

 

Cllr Hicks reported he would undertake the final land search and that Vivienne Kent would be providing more information on the public right of way.

 

 

 

PH

16

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

98

a

Representatives' Report

 

In the absence of both representatives, there was no report.

 

 

17

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

99

a

Representative's Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber reported the committee membership remained the same. Neither the Secretary nor Treasurer could take their honorarium for 2005/06 because there were insufficient funds. They would be increasing the hire charge from 1 January. The broken window had cost another £100 to repair. They were still waiting to hear about the blocked drain at the adjacent property and the tree.

 

 

100

b

Hall Improvements/Extension

 

The Committee had now obtained estimates for all refurbishment/repair work and was waiting for the S 106 money before proceeding. The Chairman and Clerk were given delegated powers to sign any agreement for the release of the money or make any other arrangement in connection with the funding on behalf of the Council.

 

 

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

101

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

 

Cllr Miller said he had received the minutes of the last meeting from Tim Harris, together with a questionnaire. The next meeting was on 8 August.

 

 

102

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller reported there had been a theft of a car in Gill Avenue and a burglary in Benenden Road. Medway was often featured in a television programme “Street Log” shown on Mondays on Sky One.

 

 

103

c

Speed Watch

 

It was reported that Hoo St Werburgh Parish Council had discussed this at their May meeting but had claimed to know nothing about the scheme. They had asked the Clerk for information and she had put them in touch with Sue Negus at Medway Council. The Clerk to Cliffe and Cliffe Woods Parish Council was aware of the situation.

 

 

19

 

104

 

WEB SITE

 

The Clerk explained the free within-site search facility being proposed by the Webmaster and outlined the downsides. Councillors were asked to look at the Ditton or Higham PC sites.

 

 

20

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

105

a

Gambling Act 2005 – Statement of Gambling Policy, Medway Council

 

Cllr Bird would read the document.

 

 

21

 

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

106

a

Funding for Parks and Play Seminar

 

This would be attended by the Vice-chairman.

 

 

22

 

107

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

3

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

 

108

a

Veterans' Day

 

Cllr Miller informed councillors that Veterans' Day was on 27 June. An open-air drumhead service would be held at 11.00 am at the Royal Engineers Museum.

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.35 pm

 


Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 31 July 2006

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005 - 2006