FRINDSBURY EXTRA PARISH COUNCIL

Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Contact us by email clerk@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

C/01/2006/1-26

 

MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 26 JANUARY 2006 AT THE MEMORIAL HALL, HOLLY ROAD, WAINSCOTT AT 7.30 pm

 

PRESENT:

Cllr David Coomber

Chairman

 

 

Cllr Ken Bamber

 

 

 

Cllr Gordon Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Nancy Bird

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Pam Coomber

 

 

 

Cllr Peter Hicks

 

 

 

Cllr Mrs Brenda Hoskin

 

 

 

Cllr David Miller

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mrs Roxana Brammer

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

2 representatives of the Upnor Society

Items 1-7

 

1 member of the public

 

items 8-25

 

Item

Minute number

 

Action point

 

 

1

 

353

 

APOLOGIES

 

Apologies for absence were received from

 

 

 

 

Cllr Gary Etheridge

at work

 

 

Cllr Mrs Jane Etheridge

on holiday

 

 

Cllr Tom Mason

on holiday

 

 

Cllr Geoff Moore

attending another meeting

 

 

 

 

It was proposed by Cllr Coomber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and carried unanimously that these apologies be accepted by the Council.

 

An apology for absence was also received from David Levy, Footpaths Officer.

 

 

 

2

 

 

354

 

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND ALTERATIONS TO THE REGISTER

 

Cllr Bird declared a personal interest in item 6b, public footpath extinguishment order, Hilltop School, as a governor of the school.

 

 

 

3

 

355

 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS OF AN URGENT NATURE

 

None.

 

 

 

4

 

356

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 14 DECEMBER 2005

 

It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Bird, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on 14 December 2005 be signed as a true record, subject to the following amendment:

Minute 312: Second sentence to read “Cllr Miller had been in contact….”

 

 

 

5

 

MATTERS ARISING

 

 

357

a

C/12/05/19b(312): War Dead

 

Cllr Miller had spoken to Tessa Towner. Two World War II casualties were a soldier from Wainscott who had served in the Sussex Regiment and a Royal Navy stoker who had come from Upnor. Cllr Miller was still looking into it and a notice would be placed in the church magazine. He believed there were about 5 World War II casualties.

 

 

6

 

FOOTPATHS

 

 

358

a

Representative's Report

 

The Clerk reported that Mr Levy had said the footpath from Four Elms to Upchat Road had not been reinstated by the farmer. She would contact the area warden and Vivienne Kent.

 

 

359

b

RS 124 (part) Extinguishment Order 2005 (Hilltop School)

 

It was agreed that although the consultation was only asking for objections, the Council should write to support the order as the benefit to the school and local residents outweighed the objections from footpath users.

 

 

7

 

UPNOR

 

 

360

a

Upnor Society Report

 

The Chairman suspended the meeting to allow Jane Higgs and Liz Huff to speak.

 

They thanked the Council for planting spring bulbs on Frog Island. They would be willing to help with planting any more in the future. They apologised for not keeping the council informed on progress of the winter Fair. This had been well supported and had raised just under £1,000 for the Kent Air Ambulance. The Society's AGM would be held on 23 February at the Arethusa Centre. There had been an increase in crime in Lower Upnor and the benches on the green had been vandalised over the Christmas period. The toilets had not been locked every night and there was now graffiti on the windows. Some young children had tried to set fire to some boats. The litterbins by the car park were often overflowing and needed emptying more frequently.

 

The Chairman thanked Ms Higgs and Ms Huff and reconvened the meeting.

 

The Clerk was asked to organise repairs to the benches and contact Medway Council about the litterbins.

 

361

b

Environmental Enhancement Project

 

Cllr Hicks would go to the Land Registry and look up the remaining parcels of land.

 

8

 

PLANNING

 

 

 

a

Applications

 

 

362

i

MC2006/0034: 54 Wainscott Road, Wainscott: 2 storey extension with dormer window to the rear

 

No objection.

 

 

363

ii

MC2005/2478: 11 Margett's Place, Lower Upnor: Raising of part of rear roof slope together with the creation of a roof terrace and insertion of railings to facilitate living accommodation in the roof space

 

No objection.

 

 

 

b

Decisions

 

 

364

 

The decisions as listed on Appendix A were received.

 

 

 

c

 

Appeals and Other Matters

 

 

365

i

Local Development Framework

 

A request for advice on how best to conduct consultation with parish councils had been received through the Rural Liaison Committee. After discussion it was agreed that Brian McCutcheon should be asked to visit the parish councils either individually or collectively. It was noted that he and Michael Parkes, a developer, would be giving a presentation at the Rural Liaison open meeting in March.

 

 

366

ii

Medway Council Planning Committee Meeting

 

It was noted that the applications for 4 Higham Road and 254 Brompton Farm Road would be considered at the meeting on 1 February.

 

 

367

d

Licensing Applications

 

None.

 

 

368

e

Minutes of the Planning Committee held on 12 January

 

Noted.

 

 

369

f

Letter from Medway Planning

 

A letter had been received stating that planning applications would no longer be sent in hard copy to parish councils but they were available on the website. The Chairman reported that he had raised this at the Rural Liaison Committee meeting. Cllr Bamber had also raised it with the officer concerned. Hard copies would still be sent automatically to clerks if they contacted the officer to confirm this.

 

 

9

 

FINANCE

 

 

370

 

a

Bank Balances

 

The bank balances as listed on appendix B were noted.

 

 

371

b

Cheques Signed Since the Last Meeting

 

The cheque signed since the last meeting as listed on Appendix B was ratified.

 

 

372

c

 

 

Accounts for Payment

 

The accounts for payment (cheques 100939 – 100940) as listed in Appendix B were approved, with the addition of £985.00, A R Dingwall (Landscapes) (cheque 100941).

 

 

373

d

Subscriptions

 

i.   The subscription to CPRE for £26 was agreed.

 

 

10

 

 

GRANTS

 

 

374

a

Applications

 

None.

 

 

375

b

Landfill Tax Grants

 

The letter from Groundwork was received.

 

 

11

 

HIGHWAYS AND TRANSPORT

 

 

376

a

Traffic Scheme, Brompton Farm Road/Hollywood Lane

 

The Chairman said he would chase this up.

 

 

377

b

Stonehorse Lane

 

Cllr Bamber reported the status of the hedge and there was no need for permission to put a pedestrian gate into the lane. A complaint was made about the amount of litter at the Brompton Farm Road end.

 

 

378

c

Cooling Road Corner

 

The clerk reported she had arranged to see Simon Swift about this and other issues. Dick Dingwall had been asked to do a scheme with costings but this had been lost in the post and he had promised to do it again.

 

 

379

d

Bus Transport

 

The letter from Geoff Walters was received.

 

 

12

 

MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL'S LAND AND PROPERTY

 

 

 

 

380

 

 

 

 

381

 

 

382

 

 

383

 

384

a

Recreation Ground and Hedges

 

i.  General Maintenance. The Clerk had reminded Dick Dingwall that both hedges should be pruned before the end of March. He had informed her he was going to lorry driving full time and although he would continue to do work for the copuncil at weekends, the council should look for another contractor from June.
ii.  Fence behind 4 Burnt House Close. It was proposed by Cllr hicks, seconded by Cllr Coomber and agreed the quotation of £595 from A R Dingwall (Landscapes) be accepted.
iii. Damson Suckers. It was agreed to allow John Gilbert of Goodfellers to cut down the damson suckers behind 112 Jarrett Avenue at no charge to the Council.
iv.  Football Clubs. Both clubs had agreed to co-operate with controlling car parking during matches.
v.   Brompton Farm Road Hedge. Dick Dingwall had provided a quotation of £500 to restore the hedge to its previous state and the Clerk would take this to her meeting with Simon Swift.

 

 

 

 

385

 

386

b

Woodland and Green, Lower Upnor

 

i.   Conifers. The quotation of £250 from Dick Dingwall to fell the conifers as recommended by ACS Consulting was agreed.
ii.   Hebe. The Clerk had instructed Dick Dingwall to prune the hebe in March and to lay some new turf if necessary.

 

 

13

 

YOUTH

 

 

387

a

Youth Shelter Light. Nothing further had been heard from the MHS funding team.

 

 

389

b

Litterbin. The Clerk reported it had become clear that a bin sited by the youth shelter would not be emptied by Medway Council's contractors. Dick Dingwall would charge £25 if it was emptied on a separate occasion from the routine litterpick. Medway Council had also promised to suggest some appropriate bins but nothing had been received. After discussion it was agreed the Clerk research manufacturers of suitable bins and obtain prices.

 

 

 

 

 

RB

14

 

390

 

LIGHTING

 

No problems were reported. Cllr Miller commented the last time he had reported a light out he had had to go through customer services.

 

 

15

 

RURAL LIAISON COMMITTEE

 

 

391

a

Representative's Report

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 November were noted. The Chairman had attended a meeting on 24 January. There had been little on the agenda and the main part of the meeting had been a tour of the new media facilities at Hundred of Hoo School, which now had media and arts specialist status. John Keeley the Community arts manager wanted to interact with the local community and had mentioned the design of parish magazines as something they could help with.

 

 

 

392

 

 

393

b

Projects

 

i.   “Welcome to the parish” signs. The Chairman said that the officer responsible worked part time and so far he had not been able to progress this.
ii.   Other projects. Councillors were asked to make suggestions.

 

 

16

 

KAPC/MAC

 

 

394

a

Representative's report

 

It was understood there had been no meeting.

 

 

17

 

HALL MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE

 

 

395

a

Representative's Report

 

Cllr Mrs Coomber said there had been no meeting

 

 

396

b

Hall Extension

 

The Chairman reported another meeting would be arranged. Quotations had been received for a fire alarm system and for filling in the stairs.

 

 

397

c

Committee Room Chair

 

The Chairman's chair needed reupholstering and recovering. Cllr Bamber knew of a craftsman and volunteered to obtain a price and to deal with the matter.

 

 

 

KB

18

 

POLICE MATTERS

 

 

398

a

Police Liaison Committee representative's report

 

Cllr Miller said he thought the next meeting would be in February.

 

 

399

 

 

 

b

Neighbourhood Watch

 

Cllr Miller said the only message he had received had been about bogus callers in Gillingham and Chatham. Cllr Hicks reported on an incident on a Saturday night in Upnor where vehicles had been damaged. The incident had been reported to the police but no action had been taken.

 

 

400

c

Speed Watch

 

The Chairman proposed that the Council express its interest in principle subject to being able to co–operate with other parishes on the peninsula. This was seconded by Cllr Bamber and agreed unanimously.

 

 

19

 

401

 

WEB SITE

 

The Webmaster had written asking if the Council wished to renew its contract with him. It was proposed by Cllr Hicks, seconded by Cllr Bird and agreed the contract should be renewed until 31 March 2007.

 

 

20

 

402

 

QUALITY PARISH COUNCIL

 

The Clerk said on reading through the document in greater detail there were certain things that needed the co-operation of the senior council, in this case Medway Council. She had therefore arranged to meet Catherine Smith to discuss this.

 

 

21

 

403

 

REGULAR MEETING DAY

 

The Chairman said Thursdays were sometimes difficult for dual hatted members and opened a discussion on whether a change of day would suit more people. Cllr Hcks said that he would prefer to stay with Thursdays. Cllr Bamber said the Medway Council meeting dates had just been decided. He would check on these and report back to the Clerk.

 

 

 

 

 

KB

22

 

 

CONSULTATION

 

 

404

a

Standards of Conduct in Local Government

 

Medway Council had just submitted its response.

 

 

405

b

Voluntary Infrastructure Kent Development Plan

 

Received.

 

 

406

c

Kent Minerals and Waste Development Framework

 

Received.

 

 

407

d

Kent Policing Plan and Council Tax Consultation 2006/7

 

Received.

 

 

23

 

408

 

CORRESPONDENCE

 

None.

 

 

24

 

409

 

REPORTS AND CIRCULARS

 

The reports and circulars as listed on the agenda were received.

 

 

25

 

410

 

RESOLUTION TO EXCLUDE THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

 

It was proposed by Cllr Bamber, seconded by Cllr Mrs Coomber and agreed the press and public should be excluded from the following item on the grounds that it was a legal matter.

 

 

26

 

411

 

RETAINING WALL, MARGETT'S PLACE

 

The Council's solicitor had promised to supply a copy of a letter he had written to the nominated representative of the owners of the wall.

 

 

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.45 pm

  


Return to Home page | Minutes Index | Agendas Index

Website comments or queries? Email the Webmaster: webmaster@frindsburyextra-pc.gov.uk

Last Revised ~ 10 March 2006

Web site design and creation by

Clive Stanley Associates 01474 822676

Copyright © Frindsbury Extra Parish Council 2005- 2006